Mock The Week - Series 7 Page 6

Noticed the link in the Weekly comedy guide to the article about the supposed sexism on Mock the Week. All I have to say is get real! Of course it's male dominated! Comedy is male dominated. Call me sexist if you want, but I don't believe it's sexist to acknowledge that one sex can be generally better at something than the other, and comedy is an area that males definitely excel at. Women comics are few and far between, and FUNNY female comics are even rarer. How many times do I have to hear dull self deprecating jokes about how fat, ugly, or old the female comedian is getting? Truth be told, when it comes to panel shows I find the non-comedian women that appear on shows like 8 Out Of 10 Cats to draw more laughs from me, as they are not trying so hard and are just being themselves.

Anyways, I thought Dara did a good job rebutting the allegations while not sugar coating the reality of stand up comedy being a male dominated industry. Noticed they mention David Mitchell IS going to be appearing in an episode (or more?) this series, so that is good news.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ July 24 2009, 4:16 AM BST

Call me sexist if you want, but I don't believe it's sexist to acknowledge that one sex can be generally better at something than the other, and comedy is an area that males definitely excel at. Women comics are few and far between, and FUNNY female comics are even rarer.

Just because there are fewer women comedians, doesn't mean that women can't do comedy. It could be that they aren't nearly so interested in trying to impress people with how funny they are. Men tend to be more competitive about it.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ July 24 2009, 4:16 AM BST

Call me sexist if you want

Sexist.

Quote: NoggetFred @ July 24 2009, 7:02 AM BST

Just because there are fewer women comedians, doesn't mean that women can't do comedy. It could be that they aren't nearly so interested in trying to impress people with how funny they are. Men tend to be more competitive about it.

There is the theory that men are naturally funnier or more inclined towards comedy because it's an evolutionary trait used to impress or attract females.

Whatever the reasons, you're handcuffed by political correctness if you can't admit the basic fact that men are just generally funnier than women, which has nothing to do with stand up comedy because you can see it at any dinner party or at the bar.

I liked the Wallace & Gromit joke. The big fella who's name I'm forgetting was also enjoyable as always.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ July 24 2009, 11:20 AM BST

There is the theory that men are naturally funnier or more inclined towards comedy because it's an evolutionary trait used to impress or attract females.

Whatever the reasons, you're handcuffed by political correctness if you can't admit the basic fact that men are just generally funnier than women, which has nothing to do with stand up comedy because you can see it at any dinner party or at the bar.

But from your first statement, it follows that at such places, you would expect to see men using comedy, to try to attract women.

I remember Dawn French interviewing Catherine Tate and discussing how dissaproving men were towards them, when the women were funny around a pub table.
How can you accurately judge how funny someone is, if they feel such repression?

Don't you think women sometimes find different things funny anyway? My wife says she doesn't find the comedy I like at all funny, but she will laugh at a bunny that's sooo cute, falling over. How can you compare a bunny to Frasier?

Still think Andy Parsons is by far the best on the series so far. Frankie was poor last night as was Russell. Hugh always has his good moments. Dara wasn't as good either. Just felt the whole episode was quite weak. Andy has been the best in each episode though, I feel.

Every other line in the show is Frankie. It's becoming a bit annoying to watch now, as he shouts in again and again. I know this is probably down to whoever edits as well, but it is starting to feel a touch annoying. Especially as all his jokes are along the same 'saying the unsayable' line. He does have a lot of funny lines, but I feel like we get a bit too much of him every week.

I still don't like Frankie Boyle, he comes across as very aggressive to me and I find it slightly uncomfortable to watch.

Yet I once saw him interviewed on TV (Richard and Judy I think) and he came across very soft spoken and polite.

So I'm not sure what to make of him really.

I think it is edited in Boyle's favour, but then he is outrageous and I find him amusing. I can't stand that bloody Parsons! Jees - that awful voice he puts on as if it makes him 'funnier'. Ugh.

As for the tall bloke, well he used that 'random subject' round to launch into what I suspect is a well-trodden routine about the stupid reactions of some people to his height and how he doesn't find that sort of thing funny or clever, but then a lot of the other jokes he did revolved around how much taller he was than anyone else...

Quote: Maurice Minor @ July 24 2009, 8:00 PM BST

I think it is edited in Boyle's favour, but then he is outrageous

I'd say more predictable now than outrageous, simply because you know every time he opens his mouth it's going to be to bark something 'outrageous'. He still comes up with lots of funny lines, but it would be nice if he had an extra string or two to his comedic bow.

Since I posted a thing to my blog about Lucy Porter a couple months back, I've discovered huge traffic spikes to that page immediately after she's been on TV.

Thing is, they're all coming from Google searches for "Lucy Porter's tits".

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 25 2009, 12:34 AM BST

Thing is, they're all coming from Google searches for "Lucy Porter's tits".

She's not that great, but I wouldn't say that.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ July 24 2009, 8:00 PM BST

I think it is edited in Boyle's favour, but then he is outrageous and I find him amusing. I can't stand that bloody Parsons! Jees - that awful voice he puts on as if it makes him 'funnier'. Ugh.

As for the tall bloke, well he used that 'random subject' round to launch into what I suspect is a well-trodden routine about the stupid reactions of some people to his height and how he doesn't find that sort of thing funny or clever, but then a lot of the other jokes he did revolved around how much taller he was than anyone else...

He has used it alot. About a decade ago he was on a late night ITV reality show where upcoming stand ups were competing for a contract. He was on it and used that joke, with some additional lines about "as much as I'd enjoy traipsing around your piss stained bungalow, I have my own plans".
(Forgive me, I have freaky strong memory).

As for editing and favourtism- I swear the final episode will have Hugh shoot Frankie in the face. I have no idea why he continues to do the show given he barely gets to talk and when he does the audience ignore him with a quick pity laugh.

Quote: Gelgoog @ July 25 2009, 12:55 AM BST

I swear the final episode will have Hugh shoot Frankie in the face. I have no idea why he continues to do the show given he barely gets to talk and when he does the audience ignore him with a quick pity laugh.

Answer: Money...