Mock The Week - Series 7 Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ July 10 2009, 1:52 PM BST

I was under the impression that she'd buggered off to America. On the basis that blacks and women can't make it as comedians in Britain.

I do like Stephen K Amos. Most of the female guests are a bit of a dissapointment on Mock the Week. Though I do like that Lucy Porter. But to be honest, her gender or race has nothing to do with it, she just isn't funny.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 10 2009, 1:02 PM BST

To be honest, this show just leaves me cold. A bunch of souless comedic whores desperate for attention. Little or no humanity, hypocrisy, schadenfreude and trite banal jokes which often come from happily ignorant and joyless mouths. Crack cocaine comedy for the "Why Bother?" generation.

This is 4th Reich, neo-fascist comedy. The logical extension of Nazi ideology.

So you're not a fan then?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 10 2009, 1:02 PM BST

To be honest, this show just leaves me cold. A bunch of souless comedic whores desperate for attention. Little or no humanity, hypocrisy, schadenfreude and trite banal jokes which often come from happily ignorant and joyless mouths. Crack cocaine comedy for the "Why Bother?" generation.

This is 4th Reich, neo-fascist comedy. The logical extension of Nazi ideology.

Lovey That is fantastic! It's so true. I occasionally think to myself that it can't be that bad, I'm just overreacting, but watching it just makes me angry. I've seen lots of people on there who are wonderful on other shows and live, who look terrible on this show because anything they say gets jumped on by someone else. They don't listen to each other and enjoy what the other says, they just compete mercilessly. I think a prime example was watching Greg Proops on there - I've seen him live a couple of times and he is so loud and in your face, but every time he went to say anything, they just interrupted. It kind of reminds me of back when I was at school - it's very cliquey.

I'll run away now before I get battered by fans, I appreciate that most people love this programme and that posting something negative is like red rag to the bull...!

Poor old Hugh gets interupted a lot.

Aw, I love Hugh.
You have to have the nice kindly uncle, to balance out the evil uncle he sits next to, who's f**ked all your mums. And killed your pets.

Quote: zooo @ July 10 2009, 5:14 PM BST

You have to have the nice kindly uncle, to balance out the evil uncle he sits next to, who's f**ked all your mums. And killed your pets.

Come on, Russell Howard's not *that* bad.

Quote: zooo @ July 10 2009, 5:14 PM BST

Aw, I love Hugh.

I think Hugh's great. I love his Newsreels and the Showaddywaddy and Car Insurance bits are the highlights of each show. Lines you wouldn't hear in a war film 'I'm saving Private Ryan...Money on his car insurance' Inspired.

Quote: Aaron @ July 10 2009, 1:52 PM BST

Oh, and Russell was particularly good this week I thought! Apart from the scotch egg thing, which didn't go down too well.

Yeah, the scotch egg; if there was a joke in there, I sure failed to find it. What did I miss?

He was just being (although I hate to say it) random.

Greg Proops should not be allowed to enter this country, he is that unfunny.

Quote: Aaron @ July 10 2009, 11:16 PM BST

Greg Proops should not be allowed to enter this country, he is that unfunny.

I completely disagree with you on this. As a big fan of Whose Line Is It Anyway, Greg stole the show every night in the later series of the UK version, improvising very funny scenes and matching wits with Clive Anderson. He was also the only bright spark in the average US version and The Green Screen Show. His standup is excellent as well.

Mock The Week shows him in a bad light: he rarely gets a chance to say anything, because when he does try to get involved he gets blocked out by someone else, e.g. he tried to step in quite a few times in Scenes We'd Like To See, but didn't get the chance because someone else always rushed there first, and he clearly just gave up by the end.

If you've seen his best stuff and don't like him, then I do understand, but you shouldn't judge him based on Mock The Week, because the format hasn't let him show how talented a performer he really is.

Gregg Proops is frikkin hilarious, a cut above most of the knee jerk comedians in this country.

Mock the Week am teh suck, u know it troo.

Quote: Magnus D @ July 11 2009, 12:31 AM BST

As a big fan of Whose Line Is It Anyway, Greg stole the show every night in the later series of the UK version

ie - by the time all the really great performers had pretty much abandoned ship. :)

I watch Mock the Week, I laugh, and then at the end I feel a bit dirty. Part of it is this macho feeding frenzy, but part is also because the format is so contrived. Nobody can actually believe any of the rounds they do is anything other than a way of breaking up the show, can they?

For the record, I think Russell Howard is consistently the least funny. I just don't understand the appeal at all. Gina Yashere was better than him this week - at least she didn't do the Murray is Scottish gag.

I've only watched Greg Proops once on Mock the Week and he wasn't that good, though he did one good joke about 9/11, how it sounds like the disaster happened on the 9th November. He said, it wasn't a disaster, I had a hand job on that day, but that was in the middle of some poor jokes.
And as for Whose Line is it Anyway, that surely must be one of the worst 'comedy' shows ever.