Yes, It's The Ashes

I found this new show very entertaining. I know it won't appeal to those who are not cricket fans, but I thought it was great. The shear number of puns and gags they managed to do was great.

The show is also available as a podcast, in case you missed it.

I heard it, it was pretty good. I think Andy Zaltzman is perfect for it, he just needs to slow down a teeny weeny bit to avoid sounding completely scripted.

There was a filler show on the week before called 'Too Late For Breakfast', with Justin Moorhouse and some vaguely well known guests - anyone else catch that?

Why do they give this so much importance? It's only a challenge match after all. It's a bit like the Boat Race - the same two teams every year. It would be the same as if England played Scotland at football every year like they used to.

Quote: Chappers @ July 8 2009, 8:44 PM BST

Why do they give this so much importance? It's only a challenge match after all. It's a bit like the Boat Race - the same two teams every year. It would be the same as if England played Scotland at football every year like they used to.

It is mainly to do with empire. When the Aussies beat the English for the first time it was a horrible shock in England, that a colony could defeat the heartland of the British Empire.

Also, I wouldn't say it is just some challenge match. It is five matches, each played over five days. It's not like the Boat Race or a football match which lasts only a few hours - this is something which lasts about two months.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ July 8 2009, 8:50 PM BST

Also, I wouldn't say it is just some challenge match. It is five matches, each played over five days. It's not like the Boat Race or a football match which lasts only a few hours - this is something which lasts about two months.

Yaaaaaaawwwwwnnn!

How exciting.

A few times, over the years, I've had Aussies try to wind me up, by making jokes about the English Cricket and Rugby teams. They're convinced that the two sports are just as popular over here, as football is. If that was the case, they'd probably hardly ever beat us.

Quote: catskillz @ July 8 2009, 10:01 PM BST

They're convinced that the two sports are just as popular over here, as football is. If that was the case, they'd probably hardly ever beat us.

Correct.