BBC turn down Don't Wait Up revival

A bit surprised considering origimal show ram for 7 yeara

Quote: peter gazzard @ July 2 2009, 5:22 PM BST

A bit surprised considering origimal show ram for 7 yeara

I know. It's a bit of a blow. It's even affected your spelling.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/0000090/bbc1_turns_down_don't_wait_up_revival/

With the original series starring Dinah Sheridan now 88 yrs; Tony Britton 85 yrs & Nigel Havers (just a boy) 59 yrs - would they manage an episode - let alone a series?

"Don't Wake Up"?

It sounds like Nigel Havers would be the only to return. Personally, I think it should be made - at least for six episodes. The BBC have got nothing ele to do with their money.

Yes, it would be just what we need right now - a re-vamp of a soporifically limp MOR 1980s sitcom. And one about doctors. Sitcoms about doctors are almost universally poor. (I don't count Green Wing as a sitcom and therefore exempt it.) Saying this, I have been asked to consider writing a medical comedy, which is yet another good reason not to bring this show back.

It had no originality about it. I suppose though it could be Havers and his son. And maybe he could be married to Tony's real daughter.

Also, the title is now obsolete, as it referred to night calls a GP used to make during the 1980s. Under their current contract they're tucked-up in bed every night, on more f**king money than those of us treating their patients in hospital at 4 in the morning.

Quote: Chappers @ July 3 2009, 1:09 AM BST

It had no originality about it. I suppose though it could be Havers and his son. And maybe he could be married to Tony's real daughter.

Tony only has one child that acts, his son, just checked.He's one of those father's whose cbildren are more famous than him now

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 3 2009, 12:57 AM BST

Yes, it would be just what we need right now - a re-vamp of a soporifically limp MOR 1980's sitcom. And one about doctors. Sitcoms about doctors are almost universally poor. (I don't count Green Wing as a sitcom and therefore exempt it.) Saying this, I have been asked to consider writing a medical comedy, which is yet another good reason not to bring this show back.

I thought the show was v funny myself. Hate the way people knocked shows like Dont Wait Up and Terry And June for being too middleclass. To me they were just bloody funny, pardon my french

Quote: peter gazzard @ July 3 2009, 9:04 AM BST

I thought the show was v funny myself. Hate the way people knocked shows like Dont Wait Up and Terry And June for being too middleclass.

Who said that?

Quote: peter gazzard @ July 3 2009, 9:04 AM BST

Hate the way people knocked shows like Dont Wait Up and Terry And June for being too middleclass.

I <3 Terry & June.

Quote: Aaron @ July 3 2009, 12:53 PM BST

I <3 Terry & June.

Preferred Achmed and June...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2aG4Q_OOtM

I've not properly watched the original. I remember one day when I was in bed with terrible flu and I watched one episode on ITV3. I remember thinking it was okay.

Btw I've sheltered in a doorway with Nigel Havers during a downpour.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 3 2009, 1:16 AM BST

Also, the title is now obsolete, as it referred to night calls a GP used to make during the 1980s. Under their current contract they're tucked-up in bed every night, on more f**king money than those of us treating their patients in hospital at 4 in the morning.

Personally if myself or my family felt it necessary to call out a GP at night or just go to A&E, I'd choose the latter. I've encountered some useless GPs.

Quote: Aaron @ July 3 2009, 12:53 PM BST

I <3 Terry & June.

Me too. Especially the episode where Terry brews his own wine. Haven't seen Happy Ever After so don't know if it's as good.