Last Of The Summer Wine recommissioned

Can't be arsed to sort through all the previous threads so...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/26/last-of-summer-wine-recommissioned

And what's all this about?

http://www.eastbournetheatres.co.uk/What%27s_On/show.asp?showID=1704

:|

The play's already been mentioned here somewhere: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/7802

Is 6 episodes less than normal?

For LOTSW, yes. The series just finished had 10 episodes, and last year's had 12.

Hmmm well it may not be the best show on, but its harmless and cosily familiar.. Maybe with only 6 episodes to work on, they might be 'tighter' than the last lot.

I think, for the future, it would be best if they took a decision to end it, rather than just not recommission it and leave it hanging. It deserves a finale of some sort, not just 'cancellation'.

This sounds like what they did with Doctor Who. Put it on hiatus, cut the no. of episodes in half, keep it going for a couple of years and then scrap it when no-one cares anymore.

I'm glad it's coming back. I've been working my way through the series and would love to be able to catch up to the show as it airs.

Quote: Bad dog @ June 27 2009, 3:20 PM BST

This sounds like what they did with Doctor Who. Put it on hiatus, cut the no. of episodes in half, keep it going for a couple of years and then scrap it when no-one cares anymore.

I kinda like Summer Wine as its something that dates back to when I was a primary school - good memories if you will. I wasn't that bothered that it was going to be 'axed' yet I find myself quite happy that its coming back. If only for six episodes. Although, six episodes without Russ Abbot or with Abbot in a decreased infrequent role would be better. Whistling nnocently

I can't help thinking that with all of the 'bad taste' issues around the BBC at the moment they must think that politically it would be suicidal to cancel LOTSW at this point no matter how much every one there would like to finally pull the plug on it.

Quote: PhilSug @ June 28 2009, 10:28 AM BST

I can't help thinking that with all of the 'bad taste' issues around the BBC at the moment they must think that politically it would be suicidal to cancel LOTSW at this point no matter how much every one there would like to finally pull the plug on it.

If you bought the cast a one way ticket to a certain Swiss hospital they're experts at pulling the plug.

I think I may stick an episode on now, from the shows best series, Series 3 to have with my coffee and toast.

Agreed. Foggy was the best, and series 3 was quite good. Prefer series 5 personally.

Quote: PhilSug @ June 28 2009, 10:28 AM BST

I think you're right.
It's mainly there to stop the wrinklies blowing a gasket.
A bit like 'The Organist Entertains' on R2

Jesus. I'm all in favour of Trident being recommissioned, but there are limits...

Quote: Lazzard @ July 8 2009, 5:39 PM BST

I think you're right.
It's mainly there to stop the wrinklies blowing a gasket.
A bit like 'The Organist Entertains' on R2

That may be so, but it's still better than Coming Of Age, Two Pints and Grown Ups.