Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 1

No thread for this? Surprised.

Bit of an oddity this Live at the Apollo spinoff (of a sort). Some really ace (and obscure) acts, though there are some odd choices - far too many acts per night so you never really give any of them the chance to get into their stride; odd line ups meaning that Mark Watson is a support act whereas Shappi Korsandi is a headliner; a lack of editorial control meaning that two acts use the same joke two weeks running ('I've never heard of me either' for those of you keeping score).

Still it's an enjoyable enough show with plenty of good material - though McIntyre's the ultimate middle of the road comic, isn't he?

Quote: Antrax @ June 21 2009, 11:24 PM BST

far too many acts per night so you never really give any of them the chance to get into their stride

Thought this last night. Pity - although it does give more people some exposure, so good from that POV. I particularly liked the American guy though, Tom Stade, and obviously loved Steve Hughes's rant about PC, H&S, etc.

As an aside, I've never thought much of Mark Watson, but Shappi's always good (although seems to be doing a lot of the same material all the time).

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/michael_mcintyre_roadshow/

I thought is was a little rushed. I'd of liked to of given acts bit more time to breath but the Aussie guy was funny

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2009, 11:30 PM BST

As an aside, I've never thought much of Mark Watson, but Shappi's always good (although seems to be doing a lot of the same material all the time).

Can see where you're coming from (though I do think Shappi's a little 'Set up, punch' if you know what I mean, I don't really get any sense of who she really is). But what I meant was that Watson is probably a bigger name these days than her. (At the same time, it does rather demonstrate how Paul Tonkinson's career has plumetted - the man was a host of the Big Breakfast, for crying out loud!)

(Though you're right on the exposure for lesser known stand-ups being a good thing - they've been my favourites for the most part)

Quote: Antrax @ June 22 2009, 12:12 AM BST

(At the same time, it does rather demonstrate how Paul Tonkinson's career has plumetted - the man was a host of the Big Breakfast, for crying out loud!)

Yes he was, but even then he was still just an average-at-best journeyman stand-up. I very much enjoyed his post-modern ironic "nagging women" material though. And who knew that basing a whole routine on making a sandwich could be so funny?

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 22 2009, 1:17 AM BST

Yes he was, but even then he was still just an average-at-best journeyman stand-up. I very much enjoyed his post-modern ironic "nagging women" material though. And who knew that basing a whole routine on making a sandwich could be so funny?

I must admit, I did recognise myself during that routine!
:$

Quote: Mrs Doyle @ June 22 2009, 10:07 AM BST

I must admit, I did recognise myself during that routine!
:$

Were you in the audience?

No, I'm just very much a nagging "tidy up as you go" wife!

Is there another thread for this I can't find?

Nope, that's your lot.

Quote: Christian Cawley @ July 6 2009, 1:02 PM BST

Is there another thread for this I can't find?

Is one thread not enough?

He's probably wondering why it's not been posted on much!

We have been talking about the show on threads like 'What are you watching on TV' I think.

Quote: zooo @ July 6 2009, 2:28 PM BST

He's probably wondering why it's not been posted on much!

Well, there's not much to say about it really, is there? QED.

Pirate middle of the road? Mikey is the cats eyes of comics , and the best of luck to him, , he can even skip jokes
SMOS

Really liked Mike Finnegan (sp?) in the Brighton one (the 'out out' bloke). Will look out for him.