Film shorts - Treatments required

I've recently become involved with a film making group. They're currently in the middle of a 10 minute short and are now looking for scripts for a slightly longer feature – approx 20 mins. This is expected to go into pre production in roughly two weeks and will be shot and edited quite quickly after.

All they want initially is a one page treatment. But you should have more of the script ready, as the next step will probably be to ask for a 3-5 page scene. I'll be able to pass on the template for the treatment to anyone who's interested in the next few days.

This could be a great opportunity to see your idea developed and filmed, but before you ask, there's no money at this stage. Everyone is giving their time for free, as it's a test run in a way and the aim is to progress to a full length feature film later on.

Deadline for the 20min short ideas, is Friday 26th June so they can be discussed at the meeting that weekend. But if you have treatments already written and can send them earlier that would be good!

Any genre considered.

Jx

Ps Please don't be put off by my lack of knowledge in this area – I'm just there to learn. There are a lot of talented people involved in this. I just mentioned the good writers of this site at the last meeting and said I'd see who's interested.

Sounds interesting, Jane. :)

I'd be interested in that.

I've got a script I'd really like to see produced!

I'd be interested in getting the template and having a go Jane.

I've got something that might be suitable - pass along the template and I'll email something over.

I have a ten minute short that could easily be turned into a twenty-minuter.

Thanks for the interest. As soon as I have the template I'll let you know - failing that it will be no longer than one page outlining the plot.

Good luck!

Jx

Me again.

I thought the template was going to be something you filled out but they just meant an example of an outline.

So it's pretty much as I said - a twelve sentence outline would be perfect. If it's a bit longer that's OK but no more than a page describing the actions and with no dialogue.

I don't want to over or under sell this one. If I had a decent idea I'd definitely have a go - I'd love to see how it ended up but this is a new group/ project so I can't give you any examples of their work yet. But the chap behind it all runs this company:

http://www.scriptconsultancy.com/

If you're interested, PM your idea to me I'll put them together to show the others asap. Please include your name and email address. (It won't be used for anything else.) If you'd prefer to email - just ask me for my email address.

At the moment the plan is to decide in two weeks what to go with, either a new idea from here or elsewhere or some kind of adaptation.

If anyone does submit from here, I will let you know what's happening as soon as I do.

Thanks again

Jx

Good luck with it Jane. I'm going to assume that whomever's filming these 20 minute featurettes probably has little to no budget.

So my outline for The Giant Spider Robots From Outer Space Versus Bionic Elvis in 3-D would not be appropriate from a budgetary point of view.

Please keep us informed on how it goes please Jane.

I have an idea that's been bouncing round the old noggin for a bit now and would be good for this. Pretty simple to film and would cost nothing to make really. I'll write it up and send it your way Jane.

Cheers

Weekend Course = £165 - in The Rio Cinema - Dalston E8?

For that I'd want The Empire Leicester Square!

http://www.scriptconsultancy.com/1Home/WCEnglish.html

Are you allowed to submit more than one idea?

Hi Mo

I only put the link so you can see who it is - this would be a free experience for whoever's script was picked, if they were happy to continue. It's been a great experience/ crash course for me just being involved.

Yes you can submit more than one idea. The timing of it isn't totally fixed yet - may go up to 30 mins but the main thing is to get a strong idea. External events rather than dialogue (which rules my stuff out ;-) )

I've probably undersold it a bit as although there's no outside funding for this film, there doesn't seem to be any problem with using decent equipment, a full crew, professional editing, different locations (within reason) etc. They were talking about green screen and animation today - i.e. it's not me and a camcorder. The plan is to submit it to festivals.

We had a meeting today and basically he'd like the scripts in asap. We'll discuss what we have so far at our next meet on Saturday. But there's still another week after that if any more come in. If you have it ready now send it in.

Thanks again.

Jx

ps A few people pm'd me today - I've just got back from Newsjack so no time to reply properly now but thank you and I will do tomorrow.

Quote: Jane P @ June 17 2009, 10:20 PM BST

Yes you can submit more than one idea.

Great. I've actually only got one idea, but it's good to know that if another one comes tome quickly, I can send it to you. :)