TNT Show

Dear God. Was anyone else unfortunate enough to watch this televisual abortion? I laughed (and feel guilty for it) twice during the half hour show, and eagerly awaited its end. The less said about the two presenters the better. (Although the male of the pairing, Jack Whitehall, did make a reasonable effort to introduce the audience to politics.)

Format-wise, it reminds me of that Ben Elton car-crash, Get A Grip (2007), but is basically Jason Manford's Tonightly under a new name.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/tnt_show/

I saw about 10-15mins of it. Whitehall's act seems to have descended to just swearing for laughs (if it wasn't that before). Oooh look, I can't say c**t. Ooooh. It felt like an even worse (if that's possible) version of that Jason Manford show that was on a while back. Shite.

Depressingly poor.

Jack Whitehall is about as funny as a heart attack

Ah, come on, give the show a bit of a chance!

Yeah, it wasn't great... but it is only week one - pretty much every topical comedy show takes a while to bed down as the writers, presenters etc get to know what works and what doesn't. (Tom Allen was good, Holly Walsh's presentation was nice, and watching Paul Danan try and deal with the stupid interview crew was funnier than I thought it would be).

What surprised me most is how big a studio audience they had though... for, what, about four minutes of live studio comedy? Most of it was VT.

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying this isn't going to be another Tonightly style disaster - but just saying we should give it a bit longer before jumping on it!)

I thought the thing was poor. I am also a little confused. In Gilbert's Special Report were we supposed to laugh at the bumbling 'differently abled' interviewer and crew, the inability of the 'Cheeky Girls' to cope with the interview, or what? Are 'Gilbert' and co really as they appear or are they acting? If they are 'normal', then isn't this just plain offensive (on a number of levels)?
Is it funny, or acceptable, to laugh at people who are unable to express themselves as clearly as 'normal' people?
Other than the confusion over that segment, I felt the rest of the programme was juvenile and desperately trying to be edgy and funny, and failing miserably. Did anyone watch Psychoville?
Huh?

Quote: Dale Latimer @ June 19 2009, 1:12 AM BST

I thought the thing was poor. I am also a little confused. In Gilbert's Special Report were we supposed to laugh at the bumbling 'differently abled' interviewer and crew, the inability of the 'Cheeky Girls' to cope with the interview, or what? Are 'Gilbert' and co really as they appear or are they acting? If they are 'normal', then isn't this just plain offensive (on a number of levels)?
Is it funny, or acceptable, to laugh at people who are unable to express themselves as clearly as 'normal' people?
Other than the confusion over that segment, I felt the rest of the programme was juvenile and desperately trying to be edgy and funny, and failing miserably. Did anyone watch Psychoville?
Huh?

TNT was embarrassing. Like a poor man's 11 O'Clock Show. Very poor. I saw the female presenter on CBBC and she was awful on that too!

Psychoville was pleasantly surprising! Since I wasn't expecting it and just happened to turn on my TV as it started.

Quote: Kevthedrummer @ June 19 2009, 10:21 AM BST

TNT was embarrassing. Like a poor man's 11 O'Clock Show.

Quite damning, considering that The 11 O'Clock Show was often more shit than it is remembered as being (once you take Gervias & Baron-Cohen out of it).

Didn't even know this was on, but just reading the guide to the "regular features" makes it sound terrible.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 19 2009, 1:43 PM BST

Quite damning, considering that The 11 O'Clock Show was often more shit than it is remembered as being (once you take Gervias & Baron-Cohen out of it).

Didn't even know this was on, but just reading the guide to the "regular features" makes it sound terrible.

But it's the very fact that Gervais and Baron Cohen came from The 11 O'Clock Show that gives this tripe no hope.

The 11 O'Clock Show is remembered for that, so it is fair to say it was often more shit than was remembered.

Did no one else notice the blatant ripping-off of 'Brass Eye' and 'The Day Today' in this God awful show?

I saw a bit of this last night. Won't happen again.

Tonightly was much worse than TNT. There was something really awkward about the way they had that black woman sat at the side of the table, as if Manford had insisted she not sit facing the camera, so that she wouldn't steal his thunder.

Quote: catskillz @ July 24 2009, 8:29 PM BST

Tonightly was much worse than TNT. There was something really awkward about the way they had that black woman sat at the side of the table, as if Manford had insisted she not sit facing the camera, so that she wouldn't steal his thunder.

Is Manford big enough to make demands?

I only watched this because someone involved with the show told me how ashamed they were to be associated with it. It is as well for the careers of all concerned that no-one is watching.

Wow, this is seriously not liked on here ain't it?

I've actually enjoyed watching it before Derren Brown on a Thursday the last few weeks and found it quite funny! I like both the presenters, although it does tend to get very 'samey'.