8 Out Of 10 Cats and its comedy writers

I understand that like a lot of comedy panel shows, there are alot of comedy writers behind the scenes.

Do these guys actually write the gags for the the comedians themselves? (J Carr, Sean Lock, Jason Manford etc.)

It's something I've always wondered as the show 8 Out Of 10 Cats has such a natural 'banter' type feel to it, and all 'seems' ad lib?

Also Frankie Boyle has also appeared on this show, but he also writes for the show too.

Edited by Aaron.

I can't somehow imagine someone else writing Sean Lock's lines for him, in particular.

Quote: zooo @ June 6 2009, 1:41 PM BST

I can't somehow imagine someone else writing Sean Lock's lines for him, in particular.

Thats what I mean, he is so quick fire. So who are all the writers writing for!

Back in 1956, at the start of a Goon Show episode entitled Tales of Old Dartmoor, Harry Secombe [reading from the script by Spike Milligan] berates the announcer Wallace Greenslade by saying something like: "Stop those carefully rehearsed and written ad-libs and proceed with your task of announcing radio's answer to TV."

Likewise, although much of Peter Cook and Chris Morris's Why Bother seemed ad-libbed, there had been loose scripts jotted down and rehearsals.

On HIGNFY, Angus Deayton was often given stick for reading jokes from the autocue. Panelists on such shows are generally well prepared for what they'll have to talk about. Some rely on their clever wit and spontaneity, some on scripted ad-libs.

Very cleverly done though...

Quote: Kenneth @ June 6 2009, 2:00 PM BST

On HIGNFY, Angus Deayton was often given stick for reading jokes from the autocue.

He had actually written those though, hadn't he?

That's what someone on here said recently.

Quote: JuliaC @ June 6 2009, 2:11 PM BST

He had actually written those though, hadn't he?

Yes, he did write some of his own material. Part of the HIGNFY magic also came from the show's producer/writer Harry Thompson, who wrote the excellent biographies of Peter Cook and Herge, and died far too young at 45.

I hate British T.V.'s obsession with Panel shows.

Quote: catskillz @ June 6 2009, 3:08 PM BST

I hate British T.V.'s obsession with Panel shows.

Well some of them are very good. HIGNFY has been running 15 yrs or something like that...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/hignfy/interview/

It'll be much the same for 8 Out Of 10 Cats, I would imagine.

Greatest example of all time :-

Bruce Forsyth's wife (at that time)being interviewed...

'What's Bruce like before a show?'
'He locks himself in a room and writes his ad-libs.'

ive not long got into 8 out of 10 cats, love it...ended now again though

anyone noticed how crap friday and sat nights are now ross/cats etc have finnished?

Quote: Kenneth @ June 6 2009, 2:00 PM BST

Likewise, although much of Peter Cook and Chris Morris's Why Bother seemed ad-libbed, there had been loose scripts jotted down and rehearsals.

Chris Morris edited down something in the region of a massive 15 hours of him and Peter talking, to make the finished 15 min episodes.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 29 2009, 3:19 PM BST

Chris Morris edited down something in the region of a massive 15 hours of him and Peter talking, to make the finished 15 min episodes.

thats a whole lot of talkin