Leonard Rossiter article in paper yesterday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1186772/Why-BBC-leave-fathers-legacy-Leonard-Rossiters-daughter-slams-Reggie-Perrin-remake.html?ITO=1490

Entitled to your opion. Persinally, I'd rather read Mail than Sun, News Of The World etc

Maybe we could create a random Daily Mail headline generator.

NOUN ADJECTIVE NOUN
Onions Causes Gayness
Opera Treats Guardian reading
Playstation Incites Cancer
God Angers Union membership

It's a bit rough anyone fancy doing a better one?

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 24 2009, 9:41 AM BST

entitled to your opion. Persinally, I'd rather read Mail than Sun, News Of The World etc

The Sun and the Mail are pretty much the same paper. The thing is the Sun is funnier, sharper and better written.

I only the Mail if I want to know what middle class, nimbyist, Nazi sympathisers think.

Quote: sootyj @ May 24 2009, 9:47 AM BST

The Sun and the Mail are pretty much the same paper. The thing is the Sun is funnier, sharper and better written.

I only the Mail if I want to know what middle class, nimbyist, Nazi sympathisers think.

Though having said that the Mail still has a thick edge on the Express, which is just barking.

And the Sun is really not funny, sharp or well written, it is puerile and nasty.

Quote: Timbo @ May 24 2009, 9:55 AM BST

Though having said that the Mail still has a thick edge on the Express, which is just barking.

And the Sun is really not funny, sharp or well written, it is puerile and nasty.

Yep I agree with that

The Express is bonkers. For my money there are only three decent newspapers in this country for fact and opinion; The Guardian, The Time and BBC.CO.UK.

The Sun entertains me, but when it goes on a moral crusade it scares the crap out of me. The BabyP social worker campaign...we'll see the results in the next few years and they'll be ugly.

Quote: Griff @ May 24 2009, 10:00 AM BST

NIMBY-ism is a virtue not a vice. If nobody stood up for where they live there wouldn't be anywhere nice left.

That makes the assumption that keeping people out rather than integrating people and things is an inherently good thing. You can love where you are by sharing it.

My own favourites are Daily Mail and the Independent

Quote: sootyj @ May 24 2009, 10:10 AM BST

That makes the assumption that keeping people out rather than integrating people and things is an inherently good thing. You can love where you are by sharing it.

NIMBYism isn't inherently related to immigrants. I know plenty of people who've objected to things like phone masts near their houses, but have no problem with immigration.

Quote: sootyj @ May 24 2009, 10:10 AM BST

The Sun entertains me

-- and me. For 'serious' stuff I flit between The Guardian and Times.

Anyway --->

"Super-cali-fragilistic-expialidocious is an English word in the song with the same title in the musical film Mary Poppins. The song was sung by Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke."

When Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC remarkably beat Celtic FC in the Scottish Cup 3-1 in February 2000 The Sun reported the story with the headline:

Great article. Pity about the "His death was a great detriment" or whatever it was, bit erroneously placed right in the middle, but very interesting to read.

Moving thread to the Other British Comedy forum.

Unwanted arguments? Send 'em back!

Besides immigration can apply to ideas and concepts as much as people.

Does one need to be thuddingly literal all the time?

Quote: Morrace @ May 24 2009, 1:25 PM BST

This is genius. This is what makes even Shit-Brit (in the words of that god-awful song) "better than all the rest." Read it and weep, rest of the world's runners-ups. Britz sportz jox rox.
:)
The Rossiter article was very touching and re-humanised an icon of the 70s. He was a giant. And his daughter is wrong, imo, Reggie Perrin is, and was, his high point.

Quote: Morrace @ May 24 2009, 1:25 PM BST

-- and me. For 'serious' stuff I flit between The Guardian and Times.

Anyway --->

"Super-cali-fragilistic-expialidocious is an English word in the song with the same title in the musical film Mary Poppins. The song was sung by Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke."

When Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC remarkably beat Celtic FC in the Scottish Cup 3-1 in February 2000 The Sun reported the story with the headline:

Voted the greatest sport headline in a poll.

Quote: SlagA @ May 24 2009, 9:29 PM BST

This is genius. This is what makes even Shit-Brit (in the words of that god-awful song) "better than all the rest." Read it and weep, rest of the world's runners-ups. Britz sportz jox rox.
:)
The Rossiter article was very touching and re-humanised an icon of the 70s. He was a giant. And his daughter is wrong, imo, Reggie Perrin is, and was, his high point.

Yeah must admit Rising Damp is funny, but I prefer Perrin as it says more about life. Pity it didn't have a happy ending but sometimes life doesn't

The thing about the Daily Mail that I can't stand is not so much the politics or opinion (I can always see through that whether its the Mail or the Mirror I'm reading), its the sneering that the paper does; the way it always seems to knock or wreck peoples image or life. Most weekends have 2 or 3 stories about someone well known, well loved or successful (and usually dead) and how secretly they were a fake/unhappy/broke/drunk/lonely etc. Its as if they take the line "You liked this person? Well read this and you'll see they weren't special at all".