Most underrated Python sketches Page 2

Ah now I remember that one it is good.

Just had a vision of someone watching the Special Olympics as they thought the tall guy with motor neurone disease was John Cleese.

Ken Shabby anyone?

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 13 2009, 10:26 AM BST

Ken Shabby anyone?

Has he been given the brush yet?

Having recemtly rewatched it I would add Confuse-A-Cat just for the fact it is totally off the wall but in a good way

This is slightly off topic, but that countdown program "50 Best Comedies" or whatever was on the other night (a repeat) - and Life of Brian came in at Number 1! Can't understand that. Most of the films in the top ten were "snob-coms" i.e. comedies which give a fan misplaced credibility, like Spinal Tap, Shaun of the Dead and Wayne's World.

Just goes to show how many atheist film comedy fans there are I suppose.

Quote: Dave @ June 14 2009, 10:23 PM BST

This is slightly off topic, but that countdown program "50 Best Comedies" or whatever was on the other night (a repeat) - and Life of Brian came in at Number 1! Can't understand that. Most of the films in the top ten were "snob-coms" i.e. comedies which give a fan misplaced credibility, like Spinal Tap, Shaun of the Dead and Wayne's World.

Yeah, I'm always bragging about my love of Wayne's World to elevate my intellectual and artistic status in the eyes of my peers... Huh?

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 15 2009, 12:01 AM BST

Yeah, I'm always bragging about my love of Wayne's World to elevate my intellectual and artistic status in the eyes of my peers... Huh?

:D

You can forget about Spinal Tap and Shaun of the Dead (neither are bad, but they aint brilliant), whereas Wayne's World is certainly one of the best comedy films after Life of Brian and equal to The Blues Brothers and The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. I hope Not Another Teen Movie made the top 10.

Wow I'm so pleased someone else loves Mrs Premise and Mrs Conclusion ('If it wasn't for the goat...') and Ken Shabby! The laugh-out-loud funny moments tend to be out-of-nowhere lines rather than well-known sketches.

Ewan McTeagle's poetry: 'I'm expectin a cheque from the Harrpenden...Builden...Societeh...'

The endless rants against BBC programme planners: '...with Cindy Rommel as Bob...the pre-Pleistocene era when much of Britain's rock strata was being formed...'

Spot the Looney Historical Adaptation: Ivanhoe!

'Mr Bent is in our Durham studios...which is unfortunate as we're all down here in London...'

The Election Night sketch is great: "I'm getting...I'm getting...a buzzing in my left ear!"

And there's a great Agatha Christie sketch in the first series with several inspectors investigating a murder.

Snob-coms? Life Of Brian is brilliant, as is Shaun Of The Dead. Used to love Waynes world too. What in your expert opinion should have been up there? I don't think anyones ever accused someone who likes Wayne's World of being a comedy snob before! :D

Quote: peter gazzard @ June 14 2009, 10:51 PM BST

Just goes to show how many atheist film comedy fans there are I suppose.

Liking Life Of Brian has nothing to do with being an athiest. It has a lot to do with appreciating fine comedy, however.

Buying A bed. "If you want a mattress you have to say dog kennels or he puts a bag on his head" :D

The cannibilism sketch was genius too. "Why don't you want to eat me?"

On screen I like Palin and Idle the most (Palin probably my fave Python), but I think Chapman and Jones were the 'best' two. The former the best actor, I think and Jones the "heart of Monty Python" (Palin always refered to him as so).

Let's face it they were all great though, best comedy team ever IMO.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 19 2009, 11:51 AM BST

Buying A bed. "If you want a mattress you have to say dog kennels or he puts a bag on his head" :D

The cannibilism sketch was genius too. "Why don't you want to eat me?"

On screen I like Palin and Idle the most (Palin probably my fave Python), but I think Chapman and Jones were the 'best' two. The former the best actor, I think and Jones the "heart of Monty Python" (Palin always refered to him as so).

Let's face it they were all great though, best comedy team ever IMO.

True Chapman and Jones were great in 'Flying Lessons' sketch. Also adding sketch where Jones character goes into police station to report burglary and has to change his voice depending on which policeman he talks to, and also 'Fish Licence', watched that earlier

Some of the best extended sketches Python ever did were in The Meaning Of Life. which is effectively a themed sketch show. The obstetricians, organ donation, the missing leg, Mr Creosote, Every Sperm..., sex education, sergeant-major marching up and down the square, etc... All really just very good sketches. Plus the botulism dinner party sketch is really beautifully written.