Heartburn Hotel

Does anyone remember this sitcom? Unbelievably, I think it lasted two series', didn't it?

Yes, I remember it. A fine example of a programme made after they'd already thought of a title.

I'vejust realised, it wasn't Timothy Spall, it was that other bloke - you know, the Geordie (Tim Healy?).

Was it that bad? I have the first series but haven't got around to watching it yet. Perhaps tonight...

It wasn't great, but most of BBC Three's 'comedy' output is worse.

I watched it. Wasn't too bad. Worst Tim Healy comedy I've seen was A Kind Of Living, where he and Richard Griffiths played best friends, also featured Frances De La Tour. HH was one of John Sullivan's better efforts.

I remember it being on but remember very little about it. I do remember one episode where I think the Tim Healy character got death threats.

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 21 2009, 9:05 PM BST

HH was one of John Sullivan's better efforts.

Hardly, but it did have some good lines in it. Unfortunately they were all shouted by the actors with no subtlety at all. A better cast might have saved the show in my opinion.

Was this where there was an ex-soldier who'd been in the Falklands War?

Two characters were. Tim Healy's character Harry, who if menory serves was in the catering corp, and his best friend Duggie, who I think has to stay at the hotel as his marriage has broken up.

Ah yes. So where is this hotel?

That's the thing about hotel sitcoms, for every Fawlty Towers, there are about five Room Services!

I think that's true of pretty much any setting. For example, Let Them Eat Cake wasn't a total disaster, but it's hardly comparable to Blackadder The Third.

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 23 2009, 6:27 PM BST

That's the thing about hotel sitcoms, for every Fawlty Towers, there are about five Room Services!

I didn't think there had beeen that many hotel sitcoms.

I remember it as being pretty good. The worst aspect of it was the endless hairpiece jokes - 'old shep'. Baldness ain't funny, people.