That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 3 Page 13

You're new here right?

Quote: Christian Cawley @ July 17 2009, 11:35 AM BST

How about some rape jokes?

How many rapists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Quote: NoggetFred @ July 17 2009, 12:54 PM BST

How many rapists does it take to change a lightbulb?

9/11

Aaron says:

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 11 2009, 1:57 AM BST

According to

http://tmwl.project76.tv/

not very much.

"Not stalkers"? Dan is the stalkiest stalker that ever did stalk!

Quote: Christian Cawley @ July 17 2009, 11:35 AM BST

How's that brave? Career suicide more like! You try it.

That's an utterly repulsive suggestion - I'm completely gobsmacked.

Comedy material from child abuse, yeah, great suggestion. How about some rape jokes? Why stop there? There must be loads of comedy mileage in Auschwitz, 9/11 and extraordinary rendition.

You're right, there is!

And (still Aaron typing), I rather enjoyed both last and this week's episodes. I think that episode ... 4, I think, was the weakest for me. A particular highlight this week was the running out of money.

Although considering that DVD sales are up, it was a load of bollocks from the off, but I did love the Peep Show box sets line.

Quote: sootyj @ July 17 2009, 11:46 AM BST

You're new here right?

No. Been here years.

I pop in and out from time to time, dip into all the boards but I've not seen any comments quite like that one.

Perhaps I've been lucky. Perhaps there's a sub-strand of pedocomedy that I'm not aware of, I don't know. Perhaps highlighting the nonsense of an organised religion over a key element of its theology isn't considered as funny as a made-up one.

It doesn't take a command from God to make bishops and priests bugger choirboys. Having a Christian God decree "kiddy fiddling" as OK in a sketch kind of takes the blame away from the bastards, don't you think?

Personally I thought it was a good sketch, not one of their best but certainly not the worst. It had a bit of thought behind it and was reasonably well written (unlike the last sketch which I felt was remarkably poor for the pair). It wouldn't have been out of place in a Dave Allen show.

Is no-one else going to say it? Oh, ok, I will. Last night's episode was abysmal. After the opening sketch - which was excellent - I barely raised a titter, and some of the sketches left me gob-smacked with how unfunny they were. Sorry, but that's how I saw it.

I only recently discovered this show and after watching last night's I felt let down. It didn't seem like it was a last episode.

Quote: Badge @ July 18 2009, 12:52 AM BST

Is no-one else going to say it? Oh, ok, I will. Last night's episode was abysmal.

Yes, disappointingly poor.

I was disappointed at the last episode, I muast admit...

...however...

I think overall, the series has been rather good: some sketches were extremely funny, my favourite possibly being the wonderful, allbeit slightly predictable, 'brain surgeon/rocket scientist'one...amongst others.

I also loved the (addmittedly crude) Queen Victoria one :)

I love Mitchell and Webb and think we can allow them the odd flop in exchange for some utter brilliance. :)

I personally liked the drunk hotel sketches. I thought that the hotel owner was a good character.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ July 18 2009, 8:59 PM BST

I personally liked the drunk hotel sketches. I thought that the hotel owner was a good character.

Yeah, that and Mitchell's rant to the audience were the best bits.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the last episode too. However, I find Mitchell and Webb so watchable that I forgive them for it. Not least because they told us half way through the series it was going to be 'hit and miss'!

The last two episodes may have tailed off a bit, but overall there were still more hits than misses I though.

As is said above, the drunk hotel was great fun though and the 'run out of money' sketch very clever.

I also liked the Numberwang TV executive - I wonder if he was deliberately meant to resemble BBC Three's Danny Cohen?

Finally got around to seeing the last episode. Not brilliant, but not as bad as I was fearing after reading some of the posts here.

The commissioning editor/Danny Cohen sketch was very good; the 'Get Me Hennimore' signed off with a bit of a whimper (despite the nuclear element); the drunk hotel runner could have done with a strong ending (or indeed an ending); the 'run out of money' had shades of Fry & Laurie; the fillers were pretty weak this week. I really liked the "brothers" sketch, which was a great idea from real-life, transposed to a funny situation. It went on only slightly too long, but that was kind-of the point of it.

All in all I think this has been a far stronger series than the 2nd and, indeed, just about tops the 1st. That M&W Look is building up a body of really good, and some great, work. Long may they be the high watermark for TV sketch comedy. We tend to fondly remember really good sketch shows (such as 'Alas Smith & Jones'), but even the best series of that had a fair number of weak sketches per episode. In 10 years' time, a compilatation of M&W's best stuff will be (at this rate) a real gem.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 21 2009, 12:59 PM BST

The commissioning editor/Danny Cohen sketch was very good

M & W are at their very best when skewering the media.