The Inbetweeners - Series 3 Page 2

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 4 2009, 10:44 PM BST

The others seem a fair bit younger, but this show could easily continue at university, right?

Would it perhaps lose its raison d'etre if they did that?

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 5 2009, 12:38 PM BST

Would it perhaps lose its raison d'etre if they did that?

It worked for Saved by the Bell.

Quote: chipolata @ August 5 2009, 12:45 PM BST

Yeah, I can't stop watching that sequel. You know, the one set in Vegas.

Quote: chipolata @ August 5 2009, 12:45 PM BST

That sort of depends on whether, like me, you thought the original series was a piece of shit to begin with.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 5 2009, 1:28 PM BST

That sort of depends on whether, like me, you thought the original series was a piece of shit to begin with.

:O

Screech and Mr Belding were two of the finest comedy characters ever! My how I laughed at their madcap antics!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 4 2009, 10:44 PM BST

Isn't the lead about 26 now? Just short?

There is a precedent.

Fifth formers. Supposedly.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2009, 1:45 PM BST

Come on BBC. Where's your Inbetweeners or Peep Show?

Or IT Crowd. Considering how much more money they've got at their desposal, it's a sad reflection that three of the best comedies of recent years haven't come from them.

Quote: Griff @ August 5 2009, 1:45 PM BST

Come on BBC. Where's your Inbetweeners or Peep Show?

Birds of... is coming back!

Quote: Marc P @ August 5 2009, 1:50 PM BST

Birds of... is coming back!

*sticks head in gas oven*

Quote: swerytd @ August 5 2009, 10:13 AM BST

At what point would Jay and Will go to the same university? I'm surprised they let Jay back into Sixth Form...

Dan

They wouldn't have to be at the same university. Just at ones in the same city. Or they could all live together/near each other and some not even be at university. :)

Quote: zooo @ August 5 2009, 3:31 PM BST

They wouldn't have to be at the same university. Just at ones in the same city. Or they could all live together/near each other and some not even be at university. :)

Don't overthink it, zooo!

I never want it to go awaaaaaaaaaaay.

You can't hold onto your youth, or anyone else's, zooo. See those young actors? One day they too will grow old, wither and die. (Possibly not Simon Bird, but...)

Surely at some stage in the future Will would come back as a teacher and Jay would still be in the same form preparing for his sixth re-takes.

Presumably though they would have to change the titles. Coming of Age for example refers to the Rights of Passage, which are socially acceptable given the prevailing mores? Particualrly in the episode 'Up the Botty.' I guess a second series can carry the same name for that show but for how long. At some stage in terms of age they must have come.

But as the Inbetweeners move on their ages isn't really an issue, although at first glance the title refers to the inbetween phase of being a teenager and being an adult, as in 'Coming of Age' - I guess the real theme here, and maore mature, is that these guys are inbetweeners not in terms of how old they are but in the sense that they don't fit into any defined social groups 'The Cool Gang' or the out and out 'Rebels'. Misfits banded together, as they are all in between one social category or another. Traditional teen territory with a contemprary and keenly observational perspective. Classic fishes out of water striving to swim in a sea to which they don't really belong. North Atlantic Cod dreaming of Bali.

A premise, as in Friends, that age need not wither nor custom stale its infinite potential variety.

:)

Hurrah!