Man About The House Page 3

Quote: Steve Charlie @ May 7 2011, 1:45 AM BST

People didn't notice these things till DVDs and omnibus showings.

Oh they noticed, those crazy 70s people, they were just too whacked off their faces on the insane sugary delights of Angel Delight, Dream Topping, Bird's Trifle and Walnut Whirls to ever tell anyone.

I went to an 'Evening' with Brian Murphy and Linda Regan last week at the Cinema Museum in Lambeth. I love my vintage comedy and they were really good guests, engaging, chatty, and very entertaining. I think they had polished their presentation but Brian talked a lot about Joan Littlewood and Ken Russell and Linda talked honestly and candidly about being a 70s bit part dolly bird. I really honestly enjoyed it! Brian didn't like the 'George and Mildred' movie and largely blamed it on the loss of scriptwriters and director who refused to do another film after they were messed about with the 'Man About the House' film.

Probably best for another bit of the forum at some stage but the Cinema Museum do have regular discussions and guest speakers (being a comedy nerd the last one I went to was with the mythic Burt Kwouk!). The next one on my radar is the Will Hay thing: http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/2011/will-hay-graham-rinaldi/#more-1618

I have never heard of that place before. Sounds like some of the events would be right up my street. Thanks for mentioning it!

It is located in the old workhouse in Lambeth where Charlie Chaplin stayed as a child so it's a fitting place. They are still working to get enough money together to open the museum up fully but even peeking through the dusty gloom at the moment is exciting enough.

I have recently acquired box sets of Man About The House and Robin's Nest. Just watched the first two episodes of MATH lately: George & Mildred seems almost modern in comparison. :)

I just loved 70s sitcoms, and this was pretty good for its time. Even now I could quite happily watch it, and even though some of the jokes are rather dated there are still some funny moments. Always fancied Paula Wilcox when I was a young boy, though somehow Sally Thomsett didn't do anything for me.

One of my favourite characters from MATH was Larry Simmonds, played by the brilliant Doug Fisher.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ November 19 2011, 4:23 PM GMT

One of my favourite characters from MATH was Larry Simmonds, played by the brilliant Doug Fisher.

Agreed he always boosted the episodes he was in.

though somehow Sally Thomsett didn't do anything for me.

Bizarre. Why not try again, by watching Sally in 'The Railway Children', where she acted down her age to play Edwardian jail-bait? Or in 'Straw Dogs', where she played Cornish jail-bait?

Do report back on your findings.

This is being repeated on ITV3, I must say I only recorded it out of half interest, but I really enjoyed it. OK it's very seventies, but I still found it a good half hour even if just as an historical relic. I will be tuning in for more. They are also showing Barbara, which has some nice lines in it as well.

v
v

One n in tenant.

Why, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about!

Sos.

My mistake !

:D

Man About The House is getting repeated on ITV 3 this week or next week I think. I am not sure but it will be on after On The Buses time slot.

I am in love with this show now!

Always fancied Paula Wilcox when I was a young boy, though somehow Sally Thomsett didn't do anything for me.

I agree most definitely. Paula Wilcox was much sexier - those wide eyed innocent looks and naughty smiles. Sally was just gormless.

Both of them are sexy!