Man About The House Page 2

Paula Wilcox, ftw.

Blimey, even back in the 70s ITV just couldn't find a decent sitcom if it ran up and smacked them in the face! (Rising Damp being the ONE exception.)

This, George & Mildred, On The Buses etc etc were all dreadful.

Viewing figures were healthy, tho'.

Only 3 channels.

Nowt else on was there?!

There's also strong evidence to suggest that many ITV viewers had the channel on just to watch the adverts in the 70s and 80s, which were often better than the shows they were put in.

I remember MATH being on in the house and no one really concentrating on it too much, but it was pleasant viewing and very reflective of the 70s, which most people who were around then, remember with ever increasing nostalgia, it seems to me. This show was a typically feel good 70s sitcom, nothing technically great itself, but people liked it.

:) I agree bugger all on, found this ok viewing as a youngian.
Indeed my dream was to live in house like that!

Still not achieved 30ys later!!... Rolling eyes

I remember catching Robin's Nest on Channel 5 sometime last year. I think it was at Christmas...

Anyway.

HORRIFIC

Just...just...TERRIBLE!

Dreadfull unfunny GUFF!

As bad as it was, how many watched the 'Man About The House' film over the weekend and also 'On The Buses' and 'Up Pompeii', I wonder.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 6 2009, 4:25 AM BST

And Tessa Wyatt was much sexier than Paula Wilcox & Sally Thomsett.

Never!

And Tony Blackburn married her so that says enough.

Just to repeat I loved the credits which featured amongst other things 2 pairs of knickers and a pair of Y-fronts and then a cock and two pussies.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 22 2011, 7:16 PM BST

Blimey, even back in the 70s ITV just couldn't find a decent sitcom if it ran up and smacked them in the face! (Rising Damp being the ONE exception.)

This, George & Mildred, On The Buses etc etc were all dreadful.

I really like George & Mildred and On The Buses. They are predictable and contrived and all that - but I just accept that that's the sub-genre. They are not sophisticated or anything - but they're not meant to be.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 24 2011, 12:33 PM BST

I remember catching Robin's Nest on Channel 5 sometime last year. I think it was at Christmas...

Anyway.

HORRIFIC

Just...just...TERRIBLE!

Dreadfull unfunny GUFF!

Robin's Nest is my favourite of Man About..., George &... and Rs N. It's one of my favourite sitcoms. I think it's often very funny. I also like the characters, it's cosy and I think the dialogue is often witty.

Having just bought Man About The House from a remaindered DVDs bin for $1, I wasn't expecting much. As a matter of fact, I found it funnier than I expected and a million times better than the U.S. version, Three's Company.

One note on Man About The House that I observed and always found strange.
In one episode, Norman Eshley played a married man who took Chrissy out until she found out he was married. The he turned up again as Robin's brother and married Chrissy.
Then he was Mr Fourmile in George & Mildred. :)

I thought I was the only one who spotted that sort of thing!

There's that bald guy in Only Fools that plays a guy who buys a second hand car off Del & the breaks fail.

Then he turns up in another episode as Del's school boy pal Jumbo Mills!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ May 6 2011, 8:17 AM BST

One note on Man About The House that I observed and always found strange.
In one episode, Norman Eshley played a married man who took Chrissy out until she found out he was married. The he turned up again as Robin's brother and married Chrissy.
Then he was Mr Fourmile in George & Mildred. :)

He grew a moustache for George & Mildred so no-one would notice. :})

Quote: lofthouse @ May 6 2011, 6:32 PM BST

Theres that bald guy in Only Fools that plays a guy who buys a second hand car off Del & the breaks fail.

Then he turns up in another episode as Del's school boy pal Jumbo Mills!

People didn't notice these things till DVDs and omnibus showings.