Man About The House

I loved this. Starring Richard O'Sullivan, Paula Wilcox & Sally Thomsett.

I think it set the premise for a lot of flatmate scenario sitcoms.
I don't see it anymore though. Not even on UKTV Gold. I want it back on now!!!!!!

I think follow ons from this were George & Mildred and Robin's Nest. I stand corrected though if I am wrong.

Also is Richard O'Sullivan any relative at all to John O Sullivan? (Only Fools creator.) Just a quessie... Wave :D

Bumping coz the prick is back.

Charley, you need to get on Paramount 2. George & Mildred, Man About The House, sometimes even Robin's Nest. UKTV Gold are, to be frank, utterly useless these days.

I quite like George & Mildred, but not so much Man About The House, and even less Robin's Nest.

And no, since there's no 'O' in John Sullivan, I'd guess not!

Sally Thomsett was always considered the cuter one but I thought her acting was - well not up to the required standard. Give me Paula Wilcox anyday - except with a fag in her mouth.

Since when did acting come into her character?!

Still didn't fancy her.

This was one of the best ITV sitcoms I ever saw.
I didn't think it was very good though.

Man About the House was very entertaining when I was aged about 6-9. Most memorable was an episode where Richard O'Sullivan was reading The Sex Maniac's Cookbook, trying to find a recipe that would enable him to seduce a new girlfriend. In the end he just produced a bottle of alcohol and said "I'll get her pissed".

I haven't aged well, so don't find Man About the House terribly good theseadays (the episode with Dennis Waterman is a bit of a cringer), but George and Mildred is still pleasant to watch. Poor Richard O'Sullivan has had a tough time.

And Tessa Wyatt was much sexier than Paula Wilcox & Sally Thomsett.

About a year ago I purchased the first series of Man About The House. It was okay, but not great and I didn't fancy buying the second series. Seen very little of George & Mildred and Robin's Nest also.
Speaking of Paula Wilcox, she was great in The Lovers with Richard Beckinsale which was pre Man About The House.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 6 2009, 12:25 AM BST

And Tessa Wyatt was much sexier than Paula Wilcox & Sally Thomsett.

Looks like you edited in time Kenneth. I was so about to mock you for saying that Sally Thomsett was sexier than herself.

Man About The House is a good comedy, but it's far from the best.

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 6 2009, 12:31 AM BST

Looks like you edited in time Kenneth. I was so about to mock you for saying that Sally Thomsett was sexier than herself.

She was indeed.

About a year ago I purchased the first series of Man About The House. It was okay, but not great...

It does improve.

...and I didn't fancy buying the second series.

But not that much, so this was probably a good decision.

Seen very little of George & Mildred and Robin's Nest also.

IMO, Robin's Nest is the worst of the three, but George & Mildred is absolutely superb. You should give it a bit more of a go.

I must say I think Man About The House is excellent. The characters all worked so well together and I believe that the situation of George and Mildred Roper as landlords worked far better than them moving to a snobby neighbourhood. Robin, Chrissie and Jo were far funnier characters than the Fourmiles (in my opinion) of course.

Only watched the opening episode of George and Mildred and it looked good, so yes, will probably give it a go. But so much stuff I want to get and can't afford at the minute.

I'm watching the movie spin off now, it's quite good actually. Lots of old faces from the 70s, got a cameo by Spike Milligan in it even. :)