Was The Office all that ground breaking?

Many people say there was nothing like The Office before. But remember the sketch from The Day Today that was a fly in the wall documentary set in an office? There is also an episode of People Like Us set in an office.

It may not have been groundbreaking but it was very funny.

You know this will resurrect the Pro and Anti Gervais arguments.

Well Badhead, this must be a record time for you to have a thread left open.

Zooo...where are you?

Quote: Chappers @ May 3 2009, 11:23 PM BST

It may not have been groundbreaking but it was very funny.

Quote: Craig H @ May 4 2009, 12:30 AM BST

Zooo...where are you?

Laughing out loud
This one isn't breaking any rules. :)

I know now how it works now. Just was not used to the forum.

I really do like The Office. It's one of the best. :)

Quote: Badhead @ May 4 2009, 12:46 AM BST

:)

I think it depends what people mean by groundbreaking. Every show ever made exhibits its influences in some way and The Office clearly didn't come out of nowhere. That doesn't mean that it wasn't innovative and original though.

There had been many fly on the wall programmes before but I don't think that any had managed to blend comedy and pathos as much or used the format of the show so effectively.

And the first half of Office Space, and Dilbert, and, and, and.

Nothing that groundbreaking about a fairly common setting, the show was very heavily influenced by Christopher Guest and The Larry Sanders Show too. Doesn't stop it from being fantastically cast and very well put together in just about every way.

I'll refrain from mentioning Gervais.

The OP mentions The Pool from The Day Today. I'd also say People Like Us and That Peter Kay Thing in particular both pre-date The Office.

It's a stone cold classic, no question - but who the hell would classify it as 'groundbreaking'?

EDIT: having rewatched them, I think The Office Christmas specials ruin the illusion of its mockumentary style.

Quote: Badhead @ May 4 2009, 12:46 AM BST

I really do like the Office. It's one of the best. :)

I thought you were a rogue too. :(

Look forward to many an argument. :D

Quote: Badhead @ May 3 2009, 11:13 PM BST

Many people say there was nothing like The Office before.

And those people are imbeciles, comedy ignoramuses, or both. Regardless of whether it was funny or not, the only ground it broke was in bringing that form of comedy to a more mainstream audience.

Quote: Gregor Shamsa @ May 4 2009, 2:08 AM BST

It's a stone cold classic, no question

I'll quite happily question it. Good does not a classic make.

The Office wasn't funny. It wasn't even a comedy. Not groundbreaking in the least. It didn't even dent the floor.

Wow, you're educating us all tonight, Dave.

They had to break the ground before they built the office.