Edited DVDs Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2009, 2:26 PM BST

It's utterly, utterly vile. The whole idea of it repulses me. Leave things in tact, for f**ks sake.

Would that be intact, Aaron?

Probably.

Absolutely Fabulous was edited too.. when it was originally aired, during an episode where Edina's dad dies she is in the kitchen downstairs and says: "Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone, I hear you call my name and it feels like home" and Saffy says "That's lovely mum, who is it?" Edina replies "It's Madonna sweety." For some reason this is not on the DVD? Maybe they would have had to pay Madonna for using the lyrics to Like A Prayer? Who knows, but I hate that they cut that bit as it's very funny.

I hate it when old comedy shows (pre-2000) are edited for VHS & DVD release for political correctness.

If I recall correctly, The Young Ones is not looked on terribly kindly here. But for any fans, beware of the current DVD release called 'Extra Stoopid Edition', which claims to have the Complete Series 1 & 2 plus all new special features. Bizarrely, a scene of two teddy bears screwing on Rick's bed has been cut from the Series 2 episode Nasty. This same scene is on the original DVD release I have, and likewise is on the VHS release. But now, copulating teddy bears are censored. Unbelievable.

Possibly the person responsible for cutting the teddy bears was the same genius who thought 'stoopid' was an enticing name for the release.

I think, IIRC, that the bonking teddies are a bone of contention among fans, in that they were not part of the original broadcast. There's got to be a list of all the Young Ones cuts/not cut after all bits on the internet somewhere.

Also, I've read that the new remastered Fawlty Towers box set will have the 'Is it your legs?' line back in. Apparently this was not present previously due to master tape damage rather than PC reasons. Oh yes, so how is it back now then? I'll believe that as I was born yesterday.

Quote: Bad dog @ August 27 2009, 11:00 AM BST

I think, IIRC, that the bonking teddies are a bone of contention among fans, in that they were not part of the original broadcast.

I was not aware of that. I know the flash-frame gags came and went (due to ludicrous claims they really could be subliminal) and then came back.

Quote: Bad dog @ August 27 2009, 11:00 AM BST

Also, I've read that the new remastered Fawlty Towers box set will have the 'Is it your legs?' line back in. Apparently this was not present previously due to master tape damage rather than PC reasons. Oh yes, so how is it back now then?

Restoration from copies. Good.

Quote: Aaron @ May 3 2009, 2:36 PM BST

Yes, Network are fantastic. Most of their releases specifically state "uncut" on the front artwork. Luckily for me, they also tend to release the shows which I want the most!

I've got Network's edition of Out with Tom Bell and they even leave the ad break markers in and old Thames TV signature tune on the beginning of every episode.

Quote: youngian @ August 27 2009, 12:34 PM BST

I've got Network's edition of Out with Tom Bell and they even leave the ad break markers in and old Thames TV signature tune on the beginning of every episode.

The Thames logo of the buildings out of water - and the tune - are gold. I can live without "rare original ad caps" though.

Unlike the LWT logo which usuually meant something shite is coming on

Quote: youngian @ August 27 2009, 12:34 PM BST

Yeah, all of their releases are like that. Many of the top-and-tailers have audience laughter and cheering over them, or even just something like 'End of part one' text appear over action still happening, so it'd just be flipping weird to cut them out. As for the Thames signature, I would question whether they'd be (legally) able to remove those even if they wanted to. Ditto Yorkshire, LWT, ATV, Granada... They're as much part of the programme as the filmed action itself, IMO. Seeing that gorgeous Thames opening warms my heart. I know I'm in for a good half hour when that appears.

What is surprising about their releases, is that occasionally you will find that they'd left in the studio countdown (and 1960s/70s TV equivalent of the clapper and timer board) before the programme - but you'll normally have to rewind beyond the chapter-marked start of the episode when watching the DVD in order to find them.