M*A*S*H

Just checked to see if there was a thread on the show but couldn't see one. Been a fan of the show for a while, interesting in that it started off as a comedy with dramatic elements and finished up a drama with comedic elements

Classic!
All the MASH DVDs are in my collection.
This is how TV should be written, also shows that losing main characters and replacing them with others doesn't kill the show if the writers are talented enough.

Good show, I prefered the early-mid years. It's never really been amongst my all-time faves really, though. My favourite season was probably 3.

Favourite character: Hawkeye.

yeah IMO the show peaked at season five when Frank Burns found out Margaret Houlihan was engaged. favourite characters IMO,Henry Blake, the episode where he leaves for home only to ne killed en route is very sad, also Colonel Flagg was a good light relief character,even Burns was good when he wasnmt being annoying which was 90 percemt of the time come to think of it lol

It's been a sad day for MASH fans. The 1983 finale is no longer the most watched TV show in American history.

The finale, which was watched by 105.97 million viewers, has been beaten by yesterday's Super Bowl, watched by 106.5 million viewers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/feb/08/super-bowl-most-watched-show

Quote: Jackson Neil @ April 30 2009, 8:28 AM GMT

Good show, I prefered the early-mid years. It's never really been amongst my all-time faves really, though. My favourite season was probably 3.

I agree, the fourth through the eleventh years of the Korean War were really the worst years for comedy anyways. ;)

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 8 2010, 8:44 PM GMT

The finale, which was watched by 105.97 million viewers, has been beaten by yesterday's Super Bowl, watched by 106.5 million viewers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/feb/08/super-bowl-most-watched-show

Interesting!

I was flipping back and forth between the Superbowl and 'You've Got Mail.'

I just can't be doing with M*A*S*H. The only part of it I've ever liked watching is to see what Klinger was wearing. Even when HMV knocked the complete set down to £50 I still couldn't get enthused.

I loved it. One of the first American sitcoms I liked - until they put the canned laughter back!

Never seen it myself, but been meaning to for a long time.

Quote: hey_nonny @ April 29 2009, 11:22 AM GMT

Classic!
All the MASH DVD's are in my collection.
This is how TV should be written, also shows that losing main characters and replacing them with others doesn't kill the show if the writers are talented enough.

Can't agree with that - the anarchic premise of the show was undermined when the useless Henry was replaced by the kindly authority figure Potter, and the licentious adulterer Trapper by the family man BJ; then to compound matters the military f**kwit Frank was replaced by the snobby Ogden- Stiers (a stereotype Americans could feel less uncomfortable about mocking).

I actually rewatched the show a few years ago , and found it in any case to be very weak, though in part I was put off by a laughter track that I do not recall being there first time around (mind you everything had a laughter track in those days, so it might not have been so grating).

I loved this when it was on BBC2. I was quite young at the time and would love to see it again. Can't watch it on the repeat channels though as they don't remove the laugh track so I think it will have to live on in my memory alone :(

My top show from the other side of the pond. Yes, that includes Frasier.
I'll have to pick seasons 3 to 8 as my favourite period. I did not like Frank character much, and I still don't. He's just too one-dimensional. that said, there were some great moments with him.

Quote: Chappers @ February 10 2010, 6:31 PM GMT

I loved it. One of the first American sitcoms I liked - until they put the canned laughter back!

At least on the DVD there's an option to play each episode without canned laughter.

Love to see this series again, as a child I could this looked good but a little slow and adult for young tastes. I was watching either the writers or producers who begged the makers to dump the laughter track after they saw the BBC version but they never relented.

Was very good for a long time but no sitcom can ever stand up to the endless running time the American networks force upon their top sitcoms. I'd also call it more a comedy drama, something the yanks think they can't do. MASH proves they can.