Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2009 Page 4

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 26 2009, 8:35 AM BST

Here's what happened yesterday.

Oh, and my son's band Young and the Damned started a week playing ramshackle covers at 'Late 'n' Live' at The Gilded Balloon.

Place full of comedians, apparently.

Quote: JohnnyD @ August 26 2009, 3:42 PM BST

Oh, and my son's band Young and the Damned started a week playing ramshackle covers at 'Late 'n' Live' at The Gilded Balloon.

Place full of comedians, apparently.

Won't know. I haven't been to the Gilded Balloon.

Anyone in Edinburgh this weekend? I'm going to see Richard Herring's Hitler Moustache, among other things. If any BCGer fancies meeting for a pint, coffee or rule of three gag let me know.

The winner of the Fringe award will be announced at around 2pm today.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 24 2009, 3:25 PM BST

I see Denise Van Outen got voted for telling the worst joke of the festival by re-telling an old joke, replacing the thick Irish character with a blonde. Silly f**king cow.

The best joke award went to Dan Antopolski with 'Hedgehogs. Why can't they just share the hedge?'

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ August 29 2009, 11:35 AM BST

The best joke award went to Dan Antopolski with 'Hedgehogs. Why can't they just share the hedge?'

That is not a good joke.

The best joke was the one which came fourth:

I went for a girly night out, my friend told me to dress to kill, so I went as Rose West.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 29 2009, 12:24 PM BST

That is not a good joke.

I like it. :) Think it depends on heavily on the way you tell it (as Mr Carson would say).

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 29 2009, 12:52 PM BST

I like it. :) Think it depends on heavily on the way you tell it (as Mr Carson would say).

Or how much you've had to drink. This seems like the perfect pub joke. I like it too.

And the winner of the Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Award is... Tim Key!

Full story

What do people on here think of Russell Kane?

I'm back from my first Edinburgh Fringe trip. :)

Had a great time apart from the rain, roadworks and 70 steps to my room.

I saw about 20 shows so I won't bore you with them all.

It was great to see the Northern Laughs Comedy Showcase featuring Lee Henman's excellent entry and to meet Kevin Murphy who was in the same category. Here's hoping this leads to good things for them both.

My favourite two shows were Stewart Lee (go see him in London - excellent) and the Idiots of Ants sketch show (directed by Matt Holt :) ). A very professional, funny show. I think they were runners up to Tim Key. Andrew Lawrence is a very bitter man but I like that and it's the first time I'd seen him so enjoyed that too.

I thought it was only kids and old people who insisted on telling you their age but apparently it's stand up comics too. Not a narcissistic industry at all.

Sean Hughes (44) made me laugh (in an ironic way). After slagging off Michael McIntyre he unintentionally did virtually the same joke as him, about using the re-record function when ringing someone's mobile. But he gave a good show and I think he's touring again this year if he has any fans left on here.

There were about another 100 shows I'd have liked to have seen so will probably have to return next year.

JP

Good to have you back alive Jane P and glad you enjoyed the festival. I want to go next year but with hopefully some comedy credentials under my belt, so I can sit in the VIP bar with other celeb types and talk absolute bollocks.

'How were the plebs tonight?'

'You know the plebs, they were plebby.'

'Yeah, stupid plebs.'

'Coke and bumming anyone?'

Anyways, when you finish unpacking your kilts, haggis' and cabers, don't forget that Sunday is the deadline for The Sitcom Trials. So get writing and good luck!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 31 2009, 5:00 PM BST

Good to have you back alive Jane P and glad you enjoyed the festival. I want to go next year but with hopefully some comedy credentials under my belt, so I can sit in the VIP bar with other celeb types and talk absolute bollocks.

'How were the plebs tonight?'

'You know the plebs, they were plebby.'

'Yeah, stupid plebs.'

'Coke and bumming anyone?'

Anyways, when you finish unpacking your kilts, haggis' and cabers, don't forget that Sunday is the deadline for The Sitcom Trials. So get writing and good luck!

:D

Thanks for the reminder. You too. And hey! I'm a pleb and always will be. But I was told (as a collective) on several occasions this week that we were the best audience they'd had and I believe them!

When you're famous and on stage next year I shall pelt you with tomatoes so you'll know it's me. It will be our 'thing'.

:)

Quote: Jane P @ August 31 2009, 5:14 PM BST

When you're famous and on stage next year I shall pelt you with tomatoes so you'll know it's me. It will be our 'thing'.

Laughing out loud