Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2009 Page 3

I hadn't realised at first that Daniel was doing stand up and theatre. I'll try and get a ticket for 'The Interminable Suicide of Gregory Church' tomorrow.

If not I'll have to get more organised for one of his next London shows.

My friend is playing the fringe this year!

http://www.chortle.co.uk/shows/edinburgh_fringe_2009/p/17280/placement_crisis

All (Chortle's) reviews so far: http://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2009/08/03/9392/edinburgh_fringe_2009

Again, I urge anyone to go see Andrew Lawrence if you can.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ August 17 2009, 10:51 PM BST

All (Chortle's) reviews so far: http://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2009/08/03/9392/edinburgh_fringe_2009

Again, I urge anyone to go see Andrew Lawrence if you can.

Dan

I haven't seen this show, but seen him other times. The first time I didn't like him that much, the second I thought he was much better. But don't know if I could handle his voice for a whole hour.

And I've just discovered I can do a very good impression of him.

I saw Andrew Lawrence this year. Maybe I was a little jaded as it was my third show of the day but his misanthropy and (admittedly colourful and inventive) insults didn't really do much for me. Shows I'd recommend are Pappy's Fun Club (having seen their TV show last year I didn't have high hopes but they were absolutely brilliant) and Nick Mohammed (great performer, good show).

Bo.

I'm back from my first day at the Fringe. Here's what happened:

1) Marcus Brigstocke's Early Edition with Andre Vincent, Fred MacAulay and Carrie Quinlin - Cancelled due to technical difficulties. Got the money back from the tickets.

2) Just a Minute Episode 1 with guest panel Paul Merton, Mike McShane, Paul Sinha and Sue Perkins - Was very good, although there was a bit of a troublesome start. As Nicholas Parsons walked out onto the stage to welcome the crowd, he decided to milk the audience applause. However, he failed to notice the speakers on the floor and he tripped over. He was alright.

3) Just a Minute Episode 2 with guest panel Paul Merton, Janey Godley, Richard Herring and Sue Perkins - Again, very good. I felt a bit sorry for Janey and Richard as newbies, however, Janey made a virture of not being good and constantly repeating herself.

4) Mark Thomas: The Manifesto - For those not familar with the show (see here for the radio show version), people suggest policies which Thomas will go an campaign on. The policy suggested on the night was an organ donor opt-out scheme. With this, everyone in the country is presumed to be an organ donor unless you carry a card on you saying you wish not to donate your organs. One thing I did like is that he referenced the policy that was suggested at the show that I went to in Stockton, about the Daily Mail (see the link in my signature).

For those interested, today, Mark Thomas is meeting a group of MSPs at the Pleasence to debate the policies that were suggested during his time at the Fringe. You can see the list of other policies at http://www.markthomasinfo.com/

Here's one for Mark Thomas' manifesto -

Mark Thomas to f**k off to Afghanistan and fight the Taliban using his razor sharp wit. (Mark Thomas just f**king off will do though).

Other then that, I hope people are enjoying the Festival. Please let us know which new act will be the next big thing.

Quote: roscoff @ April 19 2009, 8:28 PM BST

Ok it is a long way off. I'll be in it. But only if Aaron's not going :P

:O Bitch!

Quote: swerytd @ April 20 2009, 10:51 AM BST

Edinburgh is one of the loveliest places I've ever visited, regardles of the festival. It'd be a fab place to live. It's much, *much* friendlier than London too! ;)

We have very different experiences of Edinburgh...

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 19 2009, 8:48 AM BST

The policy suggested on the night was an organ donor opt-out scheme. With this, everyone in the country is presumed to be an organ donor unless you carry a card on you saying you wish not to donate your organs.

If only that was merely an idea in a comedy show. >_<

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 19 2009, 10:52 AM BST

Here's one for Mark Thomas' manifesto -

Mark Thomas to f**k off to Afghanistan and fight the Taliban using his razor sharp wit. (Mark Thomas just f**king off will do though).

:D

Tomorrow is my second day at the Fringe. The shows I am seeing are Mark Watson's Earth Summit, The Unbelievable Truth and Frank Skinner's Credit Crunch Cabaret.

Also, today the first of the Just a Minute Fringe specials is being broadcast. It is at 6.30pm on Radio 4.

I see Denise Van Outen got voted for telling the worst joke of the festival by re-telling an old joke, replacing the thick Irish character with a blonde. Silly f**king cow.

Here's what happened yesterday.

1) Mark Watson's Earth Summit - This show was a take on "An Inconvenient Truth", presenting a more humourous version of it. It was both very funny and informative. One useful piece of information is you might be interested in the internet service http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/ which is a green electrcity company.

2) The Unbelievable Truth - Again a very good show with a great panel. Of course, it all depends on how you like your comedy, but I think I must have come across the most ethnically diverse comedy panel I have ever seen: Apart from host David Mitchell (a Cambridge educated Englishman) the guests were Reginald D. Hunter (an Alabama born African-American), Adam Hills (an Australian with a missing foot), Shappi Khorsandi (a female Iranian comedian), and Rhod Gilbert (a Welsh comedian with webbed hands who for many years claimed to have came from a town which didn't actually exist). The series starts on 5th October.

3) Frank Skinner's Credit Crunch Cabaret, featuring guests Danielle Ward, Tommy and the Weeks and Andrew Lawrence - Mixed. Skinner was good, Ward was OK, Tommy and the Weeks were awful (first time I've seen someone booed off) and Andrew Lawrence was great.

In other Fringe news, the short list of the comedy awards is being announced some time around midday.

Ian: will The Unbelievable Truth be broadcast as part of the new series, or was it just for the Festival?

Quote: Damn His Duckpond @ August 26 2009, 12:14 PM BST

Ian: will The Unbelievable Truth be broadcast as part of the new series, or was it just for the Festival?

As part of a new series. Two episodes were recorded and the new series begins on 5th October.

Also, the Fringe Awards shortlist has been announced. The nominations are:

* Idiots of Ants: This Is War

* John Bishop: Elvis Has Left the Building

* Jon Richardson: This Guy at Night

* Russell Kane: Human Dressage

* Tim Key: The Slutcracker

* Tom Wrigglesworth's Open Return Letter to Richard Branson

And the nominaions for the newcomer award are:

* Carl Donnelly: Relax Everyone, It's Carl Donnelly!

* Jack Whitehall: Nearly Rebellious

* Jonny Sweet: Mostly About Arthur

* Kevin Bridges: An Hour to Sing for Your Soul

* Pete Johansson: Naked Pictures of My Life

The winners will be announced at 2pm on Saturday.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 26 2009, 12:57 PM BST

As part of a new series. Two episodes were recorded and the new series begins on 5th October.

Thank you. :)

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 19 2009, 8:48 AM BST

2) Just a Minute Episode 1 with guest panel Paul Merton, Mike McShane, Paul Sinha and Sue Perkins - Was very good, although there was a bit of a troublesome start. As Nicholas Parsons walked out onto the stage to welcome the crowd, he decided to milk the audience applause. However, he failed to notice the speakers on the floor and he tripped over. He was alright.

Shit, only just realised Paul S did his first Just A Minute. Having just listened to it, I will have to tease him over the fact that (for a world-class quiz bore) he wasn't completely sure of the rules. Still, I will congratulate him for having the balls to challenge and take on Paul Merton. Hope he goes on to do more. :)