Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2009 Page 2

Quote: Jane P @ April 19 2009, 9:07 AM BST

I couldn't see a thread for this year's festival so if I missed it, let me know!

I'm determined to go for the first time this year - as an audience member I mean.

But I don't really know where to start. As long as I have somewhere to stay can I just go along to things or should I book up before? There are events in the day as well as in the evening aren't there? All I've found out so far is that Ricky Gervais is sold out and the sites I've been on are still showing last year's listings.

I don't even know how big Edinburgh is - if I find somewhere to stay there, might I be miles away from where I need to be? I know it's not going to be cheap so it may be a shortish visit.

Is anyone from here going to watch or perform this year?

Thanks

Jx

I lived in Edinburgh for a while so can give you lots of info on places to go and where to stay.

I would suggest staying on the Royal Mile, its very central to town and there are alot of venues around there. There is also a Ibis hotel that does rooms from about £50pn. If that is gonna be to much and your looking for a hostel there is a wicked one which used to be a church, very funky and about £15pn. Il find out the name and PM you!

Im gonna be heading up there too, can't wait!

For what it's worth:

I've stayed here http://www.ellerslyhousehotel.co.uk/
and here http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reservations/Murrayfield_Hotel_Edinburgh.htm

They're round the corner from each other and about 2-3 miles out from the centre of Edinburgh. It's quite a nice walk in August as it's pretty nice weather, even at night. Bear that in mind, as if you're there on a Saturday night, you won't be able to get a taxi for love nor money! Both cost about £90-ish a night, but everything nearer the centre was more expensive (and booked up!) First one is nicer, in my opinion, but both are more than adequate for somewhere to stay overnight (with nice breakfast) as you're gonna be out all day. Taxis were about £6 going into town from there, so you may as well factor that into the overnight costs, if you're going to be taxi-ing everywhere.

I'd book the stuff you *really* want to see (popular comedians will usually sell-out, though don't know about now during the financial probs), but you could probably do it the morning of/the day before the show at one of the box office places. Lots of shows will be mostly empty, especially if they're earlier. A few will be dragging you in!

There's a lot of 'free fringe' stuff going on, which is quite good and they have a 'contributions bucket' going on, so you pay what it's worth. Apparently, this is getting bigger each year (the 'free' aspect, not the actual bucket).

I was only there for four days a couple of years ago (and managed to blag a pass to the TV Festival) so didn't see as much comedy as I'd have liked. I'd love to go for a full week and chill out just watching comedy and nothing else at some stage, but you're looking at a budget of a decent beach holiday to do that! Unfortunately this year is saving and next year I have to go on honeymoon during Summer (damn teachers!) so can't go with you lot. :(

Edinburgh is one of the loveliest places I've ever visited, regardles of the festival. It'd be a fab place to live. It's much, *much* friendlier than London too! ;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 20 2009, 10:51 AM BST

Edinburgh is one of the loveliest places I've ever visited, regardles of the festival. It'd be a fab place to live. It's much, *much* friendlier than London too!

I have nothing but very fond memories of Edinburgh (stocking up on Oor Wullie and The Broons at second-hand bookstores was an added bonus). I saw little evidence of this sort of thing:

I'm planning to go in the summer to Edinburgh, looks good Darren could you please send me over the details of that hostel and BandB please?

Cheers

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ April 20 2009, 9:35 AM BST

I lived in Edinburgh for a while so can give you lots of info on places to go and where to stay.

I would suggest staying on the Royal Mile, its very central to town and there are alot of venues around there. There is also a Ibis hotel that does rooms from about £50pn. If that is gonna be to much and your looking for a hostel there is a wicked one which used to be a church, very funky and about £15pn. Il find out the name and PM you!

Im gonna be heading up there too, can't wait!

The Ibis is £110 per night when I'm going!

It was the same with quite a few. But I did want to be in town and have an ensuite so I've gone for:

http://www.activehotels.com/wl/servlet/xmlbrochure/index.do?hotelid=38050&language=en

It's on York Place which looks a ten minute walk to the Royal Mile.

Flights Gatwich to Edinburgh were only £28 each way which I thought was good value! Grab 'em quick!

I'll be there from Monday 24th to Sat 29th.

Hopefully, one or two of you may be around as well.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ April 20 2009, 1:48 PM BST

The Ibis is £110 per night when I'm going!

It was the same with quite a few. But I did want to be in town and have an ensuite so I've gone for:

http://www.activehotels.com/wl/servlet/xmlbrochure/index.do?hotelid=38050&language=en

It's on York Place which looks a ten minute walk to the Royal Mile.

Flights Gatwich to Edinburgh were only £28 each way which I thought was good value! Grab 'em quick!

I'll be there from Monday 24th to Sat 29th.

Hopefully, one or two of you may be around as well.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Jx

York Place isn't far away at all, very nice as well. You'll have a ball.

The Belford Hostel is a good place to stay, I was there new years eve just gone. If you haven't already booked I would check it out.

Il be there around about the same time as you so perhaps bump into eachother?

:D

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ April 20 2009, 2:33 PM BST

York Place isn't far away at all, very nice as well. You'll have a ball.

Il be there around about the same time as you so perhaps bump into eachother?

:D

Great. I'll post again nearer the time and see who's about.

:)

Quote: swerytd @ April 20 2009, 10:51 AM BST

Edinburgh is one of the loveliest places I've ever visited, regardles of the festival. It'd be a fab place to live. It's much, *much* friendlier than London too! ;)

Dan

Cheek! We let you come to our galleries for free - and we'll even speak to you if physically trapped into doing so, what more do you want?

x

Just thought I'd ask, but is anyone here performing at the Fringe this year?

I just got the final invoice confirming that a show I co-wrote is going to be in the programme come june.

If anyone's interested, our show is called "Oscar Wilde and the Men of the Hour".
It's a live stage radio-play much in the same vein of The Goon Show. It's about a time-travelling cabal of history's most famous writers, but re-imagined as a S.H.I.E.L.D.-esque organisation defending the world from the evil Time Nazi's.

Never been to the Fringe as a spectator, never mind as a performer. So I really have no idea what to expect in August. Anyone here with Fringe experience?

Turns out I might be in Edinburgh last weekend in August (Fri-Mon) - I think it's the tail end of the festival still? Not 100% certain yet but any BCGers fancy meeting up for a show or two or drink or three PM me.

I'm doing this:

http://www.gildedballoon.co.uk/edinburgh_fringe/So_You_Think_Youre_Funny/so_you_think_youre_funny_heats.php?sytyf_Heat=7

on the 19th, but I think I'll be there for a few days beforehand too, if anyone wants to meet up...

I;m going up to the Fringe tomorrow, the first of two days, the other being next week. I found out it was cheaper to take the train from Darlington to Edinburgh and back twice than it was to stay in a hotel for the night. The one problem with getting the train there and back on the same day is that I can see any shows that finish beyond 8:30, because the last train out is at 9.00.

For the first day, I'm seeing Marcus Brigstocke's Early Edition, then a double bill of Just a Minute and then Mark Thomas. Next week I'm seeing Mark Watson, The Unbelievable Truth and then Frank Skinner's Credit Crunch Cabaret.

Hi Ian

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth there. I wanted to see Mark Thomas and someone was telling me yesterday how good the Just a Minute show is.

What day are you there next week? I'm staying from Monday to Saturday.

Quote: Jane P @ August 17 2009, 7:53 PM BST

Hi Ian

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth there. I wanted to see Mark Thomas and someone was telling me yesterday how good the Just a Minute show is.

What day are you there next week? I'm staying from Monday to Saturday.

It's Tuseday I'm afraid.

If you want to see Mark Thomas, there are dates of his shows on his website.

http://www.markthomasinfo.com/

Maybe I'll see you there then.

I have the main brochure thanks - all a bit overwhelming for a first timer. I've booked to see three shows and thought I'd wait until I'm there before I try anymore.

The one I'm most looking forward to is Stewart Lee.

I'm hoping to see Daniel Kitson's show (the one that isn't on at midnight) but I've probably left it too late.

I now realise I should have saved up for about two years and gone for the whole month!

:S

Yep just double checked and Mark is gone by the time I get there.

Quote: Jane P @ August 17 2009, 8:07 PM BST

I'm hoping to see Daniel Kitson's show

I hope to see him one day...