Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2009

I couldn't see a thread for this year's festival so if I missed it, let me know!

I'm determined to go for the first time this year - as an audience member I mean.

But I don't really know where to start. As long as I have somewhere to stay can I just go along to things or should I book up before? There are events in the day as well as in the evening aren't there? All I've found out so far is that Ricky Gervais is sold out and the sites I've been on are still showing last year's listings.

I don't even know how big Edinburgh is - if I find somewhere to stay there, might I be miles away from where I need to be? I know it's not going to be cheap so it may be a shortish visit.

Is anyone from here going to watch or perform this year?

Thanks

Jx

I went for the first time last year and it was fantastic! You can just go along and book things on the day-often as a buy one get one free offer. There are several areas where the shows are, each with a few rooms so there are always lots of options. Pleasance Courtyard in particular, last year, would have a few rooms with a timetable of shows, each lasting an hour so when you come out of one show you can go to the other rooms and see what are coming up next. I would advise you pre book tickets for anyone you feel may sell out. I pre booked quite a few last year, some wisely, some unneccesarily.

Last year, the festival brochure came out in June, available from HMV stores or it can be pre ordered through the festivals official website. Last year, Chortle had all the comedy shows on its website the weekend before the brochure came out so I was able to know what I wanted to book in advance of the box office opening.

Here is a link to the hotel I stayed at. It was lovely and a 10 minute bus journey into the main street through the centre of Edinburgh-handy for the assembly rooms. The bus service that passed the hotel also stopped near other venues such as Udderbelly and Pleasance Courtyard.

http://hotels.yell.com/wl/servlet/xmlbrochure/index.do?hotelid=36789&trkref=YLL

Hope that helps!

That's great, thanks Quentin. Will you go again this year?

I think I'm just going to go for it and book up next week - I'll sort out the actual shows later.

It's good to get a recommended hotel but I checked the one you said - it looks nice and says rooms from £40pn but for the week I looked at, it was £120pn which is quite high for a single B&B! I did expect the prices to go up in August but I found one earlier which looked good and was a bit cheaper so I'll keep searching on that front.

I'm really looking forward to it now and I'm sure it's a lovely place to visit anyway! Maybe we'll have some sunshine too.

:)

Jx

I wanna gooooooooooooo.

Maybe next year.

£120?!?! Wow! It was good, but not that good. I didnt sort out the hotel last year so Im even more grateful now to the person who did! I unfortunatley can't make it this year due to work commitments but I will be very jealous of all who are there. Im hoping to go again in 2010! Have a great time! :)

Just a suggestion but why don't we organise a bit of a bash at the festival next year? Early booking and all that. See whose going up and meet for a beer and some comedy stuff. Start a thread early next year and go for it. I've never been and as a bit of a writer and a comedy fan I think I should go at least once.

Quote: roscoff @ April 19 2009, 5:04 PM BST

Just a suggestion but why don't we organise a bit of a bash at the festival next year? Early booking and all that. See whose going up and meet for a beer and some comedy stuff. Start a thread early next year and go for it. I've never been and as a bit of a writer and a comedy fan I think I should go at least once.

Wow, you people like to plan ahead don't you? Is no-one going this year!? It's still months away...

If all goes well this time you can probably count me in again next year though.

Jx

If you want stupidly-cheap accomodation try the Heriot-Watt University. I stayed there last year during the festival and it was something like 25 quid a night for a basic ensuite room.

Mind you it was a 25 minute bus ride into town which was a bit of a pain. But still - cheap as chips.

When you get there don't forget to check out the Free Fringe - lots of nice free shows for you. The big hubs of activity are the Pleasance Courtyard and Udderbelly.

And yes, Edinburgh's a big city. And very hilly. Pack good walking shoes. The fringe is a blast - I went last year for two days and it wasn't nearly enough. Hopefully I'll be going for a bit longer this time.

Ok it is a long way off. I'll be in it. But only if Aaron's not going :P

Yeah, I like the idea of all of us decending on Edinburgh in 2010. I can't make this year, but I'm up for going next year!

Hey if you're there Roscoff I'll be there.

I agree it's probably too late for this year - but next year we might all have stuff on.

I went last year, hopefully going this year, but by gosh I'm up for next.

40 minutes in the car for me :D - not 100% sure if we're (my girlfriend and me) are going yet...

Would be cool to meet some people from here no doubt though if we do go.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 19 2009, 7:22 PM BST

If you want stupidly-cheap accomodation try the Heriot-Watt University. I stayed there last year during the festival and it was something like 25 quid a night for a basic ensuite room. Mind you it was a 25 minute bus ride into town which was a bit of a pain. But still - cheap as chips.When you get there don't forget to check out the Free Fringe - lots of nice free shows for you. The big hubs of activity are the Pleasance Courtyard and Udderbelly. And yes, Edinburgh's a big city. And very hilly. Pack good walking shoes. The fringe is a blast - I went last year for two days and it wasn't nearly enough. Hopefully I'll be going for a bit longer this time.

Thanks Lee - all useful stuff.

Craig have you not considered renting out your sofa for £100 a night?  You'll be quids in. 

So I'll see most of you in 2010 by the sound of it!

I'll check again nearer the date (this year) for any recommended shows and to see if anyone else will be around at the same time!

Jx

Scotland