Coogan's Run

Just wanted to know what people thought of 'Coogan's Run' and comedy's similar to it like 'That Peter Kay Thing'. Myself and my writer partner are thinking of writing a show of the same ilk. Do people think this type of comedy is dead or not?

I thought it was excellent.

It was great, but it, much like That Peter Kay Thing, was built around a performer, so unless you have one to build it around, then it'll be tricky to get it off the ground. Or at least that's what I was told when I tried something similar!

They're just sitcom's really, so I don't think it's dead per se.

However, you'd be hard pushed to get anywhere with something like that as a first project. I think most production companies would rather see something that could be turned into a 6 part sitcom rather than 6 individual sitcoms.

We've already shot the first episode and are thinking of development that but I'm keen to show that I can do more. I've always done things were I play the one central character so I want to add more characters to my repertoire, it's a good showcase for a performer surely.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 16 2009, 1:29 PM BST

Do people think this type of comedy is dead or not?

Probably not if you're a big name. Not sure how far you'll get if you're an unkown squit. Although one great script is a good calling card.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 16 2009, 1:37 PM BST

it's a good showcase for a performer surely.

Well yes, like I said, if you are building it around a performer, then you may stand more of a chance.

Well we are building it around two performers who have worked together in the past and did separate things and have now come back together to get this comedy vehicle of the ground.

I though the idea of setting in one place is not unique but having two central characters instead of the usual one is a different twist on the comedy. We're making them to come in for about 10 to 15 minutes to make the pace quick and have it jousting back and forth between too different characters should keep people hooked I hope. What do people think?

I'm not sure whether them being connected will be too important really. Your best chance of getting any success with it is surely by hawking it around and hoping that 1 short episode catches somebody's attention. Much more chance of that than of all of them running I would have thought.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 16 2009, 1:50 PM BST

Well we are building it around two performers who have worked together in the past and did separate things and have now come back together to get this comedy vehicle of the ground.

French and Saunders? Might be good. Fry and Laurie? Would be a must-see.

On the topic do people consider 'Victoria Wood' or 'Victoria Wood Presents...' in the same category as 'Coogan's Run' and 'That Peter Kay Thing'?

Which comedy do you prefer 'Coogan's Run', 'That Peter Kay Thing' or 'Victoria Wood'?

I thought it was very good, his next best thing outside Partridge. Definitely superior to House of Horrible and Saxondale.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ April 16 2009, 3:20 PM BST

I thought it was very good, his next best thing outside Partridge. Definitely superior to House of Horrible and Saxondale.

I thought it was good and I'm glad he tried something else but I don't agree with it being better then 'Saxondale' although it was better then 'House of Horrible'.

About Kay: I never really liked him. He was never that funny to begin with. He basically tapped into the loveable northern chap market and it sold:

"Oh, isn't it funny when your mam has a plastic bag with all her other plastic bags in"..."isn't it funny that triangle sarnies taste better than square ones".

No- and they don't.

An absolute c**t apparently who lifted most of his material off that geezer from 8 out of 10 cats. Phoenix Nights was the one thing he's done where I could understand people liking it, but the rest of his stuff is utter garbage.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 16 2009, 3:24 PM BST

I thought it was good and I'm glad he tried something else but I don't agree with it being better then 'Saxondale' although it was better then 'House of Horrible'.

All bout the opinions, I just prefer the characters in Coogan's Run. The Calf's and Ernest Moss are better than Tommy Saxondale, I think. Saxondale has grown on me, I was underwhelmed with it at first, but it is good in patches.