Death At A Funeral

I wasn't sure which forum to put this.. American money and Frank Oz directing, but an excellent, largely British cast...

Anybody see this? I got the DVD the other day and its very good indeed.

If the Internet Movie Database is to be believed, they're re-making it with an American cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321509/

I enjoyed the original, it was very watchable.

Remaking it?? Good grief.. It can't be better really, it is what it is, and the cast were well, erm, cast.

I enjoyed the 'British' one. The guy spiked with drugs was great.

I thought Kris Marshall was good too.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 28 2009, 6:58 PM BST

I wasn't sure which forum to put this.. American money and Frank Oz directing, but an excellent, largely British cast...

Made in Britain, British writer - it's British. :)

It is being directed by the same person who brought you the 2006 remake of the film Wicker Man.

I didn't like the original that much, I can't imagine the remake (which is taking an African American slant with Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan and Martin Lawrence) could be that good.

Does anyone know anything about the director, Neil LaBute?

Quote: deckard @ March 27 2010, 1:42 AM GMT

It is being directed by the same person who brought you the 2006 remake of the film Wicker Man.

Ahh. That bodes well. So we can expect a nice big dollop of misogyny in the remake, then.

I really like the original. It has Andy Nyman in it, who is made of win.

I forced friends to watch the original, it's one of my favourites. Now they want to drag me to the remake...I feel I'm being shortchanged.

I enjoyed the original film. It is a shame that it did not receive greater critical acclaim when it was originally released. A great British cast playing out a typically British farce.

Neil LaBute is clearly a highly regarded writer / director. He wrote the play 'Fat Pig' that I saw a couple of years ago. I was disappointed with the play, possibly because Joanna Page (Stacey) was hopeless with an American accent and the whole cast should have stuck to their own British accents, but maybe because of the cruel / 'reality-check' final outcome.

When researching reviews of 'Fat Pig' I noticed that Mr LaBute had responded directly to criticism of his work on various internet blogs.