Top 20 best sitcoms of all-time Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ March 26 2009, 1:28 PM GMT

Do you really want me to name-drop?

The Queen?

Alas, no. I hope I get my Knighthood before she pegs it. I like Charles, but it's not quite the same.

Anyway. No. It was Reece Shearsmith. Met him last night, and made a point of asking what the show is. He didn't know what it was, but was quite certain that it wasn't sitcom OR sketch. I put it to him that it was often sketch-type humour in a sitcom format, which I don't think he argued with, but he couldn't come up with an answer other than that it's "uncategorisable".

Also, Psychoville sounds really really good. Currently scheduled to start in June, with the return of 'Thursdays are funny'. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/psychoville/

Quote: Aaron @ March 26 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

Anyway. No. It was Reece Shearsmith. Met him last night, and made a point of asking what the show is. He didn't know what it was, but was quite certain that it wasn't sitcom OR sketch. I put it to him that it was often sketch-type humour in a sitcom format, which I don't think he argued with, but he couldn't come up with an answer other than that it's "uncategorisable".

Before he said "uncategorisable", did he let out a massive theatrical yawn, by any chance? ;)

No, not at all. He was very nice, and seemed genuinely interested and thoughtful about the question. (But then, he is an actor...)

Quote: Aaron @ March 26 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

Alas, no. I hope I get my Knighthood before she pegs it. I like Charles, but it's not quite the same.

Well what does he know? ;) I'd say, if you were going to call it anything, then it's a sketch-com, which is horrible. I still stand by the idea that what it is is an evolved form of the sketch show though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 26 2009, 1:42 PM GMT

Well what does he know? ;) I'd say, if you were going to call it anything, then it's a sketch-com, which is horrible. I still stand by the idea that what it is is an evolved form of the sketch show though.

Well, Mark did suggest to him that it was a different genre entirely, 'skitchom', he didn't object, but again, he didn't (as far as I remember) quite agree either.

Quote: Aaron @ March 26 2009, 1:46 PM GMT

Well, Mark did suggest to him that it was a different genre entirely, 'skitchom', he didn't object, but again, he didn't (as far as I remember) quite agree either.

Skitchom? Dear God.

We want more skitchoms (or is it skitchcoms?)!

Haha.

I still lean more towards a sitcom than a sketch show.

You're going to have to categorise it somehow!

I always thought LOG was less skitchom, more shitcom! Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Ahhhhh!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Quote: zooo @ March 26 2009, 2:37 PM GMT

I still lean more towards a sitcom than a sketch show.

You're going to have to categorise it somehow!

Yes, Mark and I are more on the sitcom side of the argument. We told him he wasn't being very helpful!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 26 2009, 2:44 PM GMT

I always thought LOG was less skitchom, more shitcom! Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Ahhhhh!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Try harder next time... ;)

Quote: zooo @ March 26 2009, 2:46 PM GMT

Try harder next time... ;)

Very, very unlikely!

My top 20, cont.

5) Steptoe and Son
6) Seinfeld

Ooo, this is hard work!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 27 2009, 9:40 AM GMT

Ooo, this is hard work!

Quite. I'm upset that I omitted Who's the Boss? from my earlier list.