Newswipe With Charlie Brooker - Series 1

Soooo, Mr Brooker's back tonight with this new show, specifically looking at the way telly covers the news, an area that is in desperate need of a good satirising given the hyperbole and repetition that often appear endemic to the form, sometimes to the detriment of the actual content.

Which I'm sure he'll point out. Y'know, in a funny way.

Looking forward to it. :)

After championing Brooker in the Stewart Lee thread, he better not f**k this up and make me look like a looney tune.

I too am looking foward to this.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ March 25 2009, 4:07 PM GMT

After championing Brooker in the Stewart Lee thread, he better not f**k this up and make me look like a looney tune.

Yes, I should imagine that's uppermost in his mind at the moment: "Best not f**k this show up and make Renegade Carpark look like a loony tune."

(Also, terrible photo of Brooker on this website's title page.)

Quote: chipolata @ March 25 2009, 4:42 PM GMT

Yes, I should imagine that's uppermost in his mind at the moment: "Best not f**k this show up and make Renegade Carpark look like a loony tune."

(Also, terrible photo of Brooker on this website's title page.)

You're damn right. I'm a very important person inside my own head. :D

I thought that tonight's episode was very informative. I especially liked Brooker's take on the shootings in Germany.

It was spot on.

I wonder how it'll stretch to a series though? It didn't seem much different to Screenwipe; I thought it would be more of a critique of the reporting of this weeks news, more topical.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 26 2009, 9:23 AM GMT

I wonder how it'll stretch to a series though? It didn't seem much different to Screenwipe; I thought it would be more of a critique of the reporting of this weeks news, more topical.

Well, I believe that each episode also concerntrate on a particular bit of the news. For example, next week looks at citizen journalism.

Far too generic.....he needs to pick a target and go after it instead of generalizing. Just watched it on iPlayer and he seems to assume a pretty low understanding of the news by his viewers in order to make the concept that all the news is nonsense work.

In contrast...The Daily Show in the US assumes a pretty good level of understanding of American politics and goes after what's truly stupid. If you approach any subject from the position of not really understanding it and assuming your audience doesn't either....it's easy to laugh at it. I bet the peasants in the fields had a few giggles at the first clever people saying the world was round and not flat.

There are jokes about quantitative easing......but to assume the joke is no one understands it is playing it dumb (I hope.....anyone who really sat watching this going "yeah.....I don't get it either" needs Newsround!)

Pity...cause I loved his previous show.

I haven't seen it yet, because I needed sleepy bye-bye, but I note, from the informative listings section, that it is on again tonight at 11pm, BBC Four. That's a bit of luck, innit!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 26 2009, 1:11 PM GMT

I haven't seen it yet, because I needed sleepy bye-bye, but I note, from the informative listings section, that it is on again tonight at 11pm, BBC Four. That's a bit of luck, innit!

They should repeat it after Newsround for all of us who start feeling tired at dinnertime and are ready for bed by nine.

Quote: chipolata @ March 26 2009, 1:28 PM GMT

They should repeat it after Newsround for all of us who start feeling tired at dinnertime and are ready for bed by nine.

Too bloody right! They do have a habit of putting decent telly on far too late. What I say is: Brooker at 6pm, The Shield at 7pm...etc...anything wrong with that?

I don't think it needed to be a topical show looking at that weeks' news. I think it worked well looking how news media works.

I used to be employed writing daily news stories on fashion - which was very rarely from first-hand. Mostly it was taken from press releases and secondry sources like news agencies. That's one thing for fashion news, but on opinion forming news reporting it's pretty scary.

Enjoyed it, but I feel he was trying to pack too much in. Should have dropped a couple of items and cut down the serious explanations in order to concentrate on more jokes.

Also felt a bit Day Today but without the anarchy. Good but not as brilliant as Screenwipe.