Barry Cryer Page 4

Quote: chipolata @ June 30 2009, 9:45 AM BST

I don't think anybody considers him a comedy god

I do!

Most people are probably unaware that he's from Yorkshire.

I met him once when I was working with Phil Cool. He must have been having a bad day because he was chain-smoking and swearing like an Irish navvy with his nuts in a mangle. He was complaining that his writing partner Ray Cameron was always bringing his snotty-nosed kid along and it was a major distraction when they had a new series of the Kenny Everett show to write. Said the boy was always grinning and giggling like a mongoloid. Coolie told me later that Cryer seemed "frightened" of the lad.

Quote: Sebastian Melmoth @ July 2 2009, 12:49 PM BST

I met him once when I was working with Phil Cool. He must have been having a bad day because he was chain-smoking and swearing like an Irish navvy with his nuts in a mangle. He was complaining that his writing partner Ray Cameron was always bringing his snotty-nosed kid along and it was a major distraction when they had a new series of the Kenny Everett show to write. Said the boy was always grinning and giggling like a mongoloid. Coolie told me later that Cryer seemed "frightened" of the lad.

Coolie told me later that Cryer seemed "frightened" of the lad.

Is that what made his hair go all lovely and white?

>_<

I love Barry Cryer! For the longest times he has been one of my comedy heroes...I got the pleasure of meeting him outside the Birmingham Hippodrome and he was extremely humble and polite (I'll always remember how after I told him he inspired me to write comedy, he put his hand out to shake mine...just seemed like a really nice thing to do)

I have this horribly grainy photo which I was always treasure!!

About time this thread was revived for one of the funniest men in the UK.

A comedy god.

So.......................

He was on Celebrity Antiques Roadshow with Bernard Cribbins yesterday - very good to see two old stagers joshing with each other, and Barry treated one of the dealers to a joke:-

Husband in bathroom getting ready to go out for the evening with his wife, who comes into see him in the dress she is going to wear.

Wife: "Does my bum look big in this?"

Husband: "Yes, but to be fair dear, this is a small bathroom"

Well, it made me burst out laughing - am a very big fan of Barry.

I was thinking about him the other day whilst listening to ISIHAC. An absolute comedy legend.

He writes what my daughters call 'dad jokes'

I probably owe him a few bob as I have borrowed quite a few.

Like; I met my wife in Blackpool, I said to her 'what are you doing here'

Gyles Brandreth on Sunday Brunch mentioned that he'd just been to see his "dear friend" Barry Cryer who seems to not be in the best of health (?) :( and as Gyles left him, Barry said he wondered whether he would see him again.................."I don't even buy green bananas anymore"

:(

I forgot to mention that Barry featured quite a bit in a very good repeated documentary on TPTV last week on the London music halls made in 1968, who appeared in them and a reprise of some of the acts, which is where Barry came in as both an act and chairman à la Leonard Sachs :-

"A Little of What You Fancy" (1968)

And I quote from the IMDb :-

"An excellent documentary about the history of the London music-hall, with archive footage, and great sequences filmed in London in the Sixties."

And...................

"Not mentioned in the earlier comments are the main performers at the Players. Firstly there is a lengthy sequence with the chairman, a very young Barry Cryer, talking to the audience. Then there is an excellent comic number (They Always Pick on Me) by Sheila Bernette."

Is it in sepia?

In the world of comedy, Barry Cryer stands equal to the greatest comedy writers who have ever lived.

A spectacularly talented man.