Barry Cryer Page 3

He dyes it. Its really a glossy chestnut brown.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 23 2009, 12:22 PM BST

He tends to 'laugh' as he says a line he knows is duff to encourage mirth.

Vernon Kay does that. God, I hate that lanky streak of piss!

I'm afraid I'm with the 'God' crowd though I admire a man who sticks to his guns in the face of growing opinions against his views. Only if he has lovely white hair though.

I think the guy is a legend. There's a great story about him: when he presented his first gag on parchment to some music hall artiste of the day, the old soak pro ripped it up in front of him. Quick as a flash Cryer said: "But it's lovely, why tear?"

Quote: Badge @ May 21 2009, 12:58 AM BST

I think the guy is a legend.

He is. And he's got lovely white hair as well. Has that come up yet?

There is a picture of Barry on todays home page.

The thing that struck me was......

I've met him.
And it's even whiter in the flesh.

Quote: Lazzard @ June 29 2009, 3:41 PM BST

I've met him.
And it's even whiter in the flesh.

What is? How can hair be in the flesh? Out of the flesh maybe. Unless it's an in-growing hair I suppose.

This is a very interesting thread as I thought Barry Cryer was widely considered a comedy god. What do you find cringe worthy about him?

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ June 30 2009, 9:42 AM BST

This is a very interesting thread as I thought Barry Cryer was widely considered a comedy god. What do you find cringe worthy about him?

I don't think anybody considers him a comedy god, but he's a good egg who's been involved (especially on the writing side) with a lot of good shows and people. He's also not one of these old timers who thinks they stopped making comedy in 1985. He's very supportive of new talent.

Quote: chipolata @ June 30 2009, 9:45 AM BST

I don't think anybody considers him a comedy god, but he's a good egg who's been involved (especially on the writing side) with a lot of good shows and people. He's also not one of these old timers who thinks they stopped making comedy in 1985. He's very supportive of new talent.

I must admit I don't know too much about him. All I know is he wrote/or was friends with Tommy Cooper. He came to my local town for a show recently, I didn't bother getting tickets. Maybe I should have done.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ June 30 2009, 9:50 AM BST

I must admit I don't know too much about him. All I know is he wrote/or was friends with Tommy Cooper. He came to my local town for a show recently, I didn't bother getting tickets. Maybe I should have done.

I'm not sure he's any great shakes as a stand up. But he's a likeable presence, and as I say, he's got pedigree, writing for the Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise, Kenny Everett, David Frost, Les Dawson and Dick Emery to name a few.

Quote: chipolata @ June 30 2009, 9:53 AM BST

I'm not sure he's any great shakes as a stand up. But he's a likeable presence, and as I say, he's got pedigree, writing for the Two Ronnies, Morcambe and Wise, Kenny Everett, David Frost, Les Dawson and Dick Emery to name a few.

I think the show was a talk about his life in the business rather than stand up, although I can't be sure.

I'm sure it would've been very funny. Oh well - your loss!