Barry Cryer

I am listening to ISIHAC at the moment. Now I know a lot of it is corny, a lot of the jokes and themes are repetitive, and that's sort of what makes it what it is. But Barry Cryer... he is just *too* ham-fisted, too corny and not very funny. I want to like him, I do. But he doesn't make it easy.
Am I alone in this opinion?

I think he's a bit of a god! :)

Hmmmm... I know he is integral to the show, but a lot of his input just makes me cringe..

I think he's a lot of a god.

My favourite line in Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show! came courtesy of him:

(The two are drunk, and stumble into the cafe.)
CA: "I'm the town crier!"
BC: "I'm the Barry Cryer!"

Cracks me up every time.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 22 2009, 10:09 PM GMT

I am listening to ISIHAC at the moment. Now I know a lot of it is corny, a lot of the jokes and themes are repetitive, and that's sort of what makes it what it is. But Barry Cryer... he is just *too* ham-fisted, too corny and not very funny. I want to like him, I do. But he doesn't make it easy.
Am I alone in this opinion?

I think you'll be fairly alone there.

What you've failed to take into account is that although the jokes are often very old and very corny, Barry Cryer wrote them in the first place. Yes, he often uses jokes he wrote 50 years ago but he is undeniably an utter master of his art.

If you ever saw him on stage doing even just 5 minutes of material, you'd realise how stupendously good he is.

I once saw him on a Jack Dee programme where he did a bit of stand up and sang a song about cheese. Died on his arse, he did.

Quote: Aaron @ March 23 2009, 12:29 AM GMT

(The two are drunk, and stumble into the cafe.)
CA: "I'm the town crier!"
BC: "I'm the Barry Cryer!"

Cracks me up every time.

:|

Am I right in saying that BC wrote for everyone who was anyone over the last 50 years or so?

Yep. Even some of the Morecambe & Wise Christmas Shows.

I think it's his delivery. Often I'll listen to him and think "Actually I'm wrong, he's rather good.." Then *wallop* out he comes with something else that leaves me underwhelmed. He tends to 'laugh' as he says a line he knows is duff to encourage mirth. I hate that; it's false. If it's a corny joke, let it die and then make a laugh out of that.

He's got lovely white hair.

Well that he does. Not especially mirth-inducing. Certainly not on the radio at any rate.

I like him. And I like the fact that he respects new talent as well. He's not one of these old fossils who believes that people stopped being funny in 1983. And although he does do that false laugh thing, I can't say it bothers me too much. Plus he's got lovely white hair. Have I mentioned that?

Yes. Yes you did.

Actually, I can sort of see your point in not liking him. Like a lot of old style comedians, there is something calculating and mechanical about his stage persona, but for all the artifice it works for me.

(Plus, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but he's got lovely white hair.)

Is it calculating and mechanical white hair? Thats definitely impressive, but not funny per se.

Some of the time he is good, and I like Hamish & Dougal. And I like all sorts of performers, young and old. Its just him really. Maybe he should dye his hair?

Quote: bigfella @ March 23 2009, 11:12 AM GMT

Am I right in saying that BC wrote for everyone who was anyone over the last 50 years or so?

Yup. :)

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 23 2009, 10:11 AM GMT

:|

Nothing works as well written down. :)

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 23 2009, 11:22 AM GMT

He tends to 'laugh' as he says a line he knows is duff to encourage mirth. I hate that; it's false.

I disagree. I think that he laughs becuase it is genuinely funny, even if only to him.