Genius

I'm a big fan of the Radio 4 series, and have just seen the first episode of the TV programme.

It seems a bit unrefined to me, shambolic in places. Part of the humour on the radio show derives from the internal logic the "geniuses" has created for their idea, and also by playing it deadpan, as Dave Gorman has done in previous TV shows. The TV show ideas didn't seem as strong or developed, and there seemed to be more of a mucking about feel, emphasised by Catherine, and to some degree David.

I want this to be good, I hope it settles down.

Brendan

I quite enjoyed it.

Quote: zooo @ March 20 2009, 10:48 PM GMT

I quite enjoyed it.

Me too, but I haven't heard the radio version.

I watched the stuff on the Red Button too. I'm looking forward to Frank Skinner next week.

It did seem a bit better on the radio, yes.
But we've only had one TV show so far! I'm sure it'll settle in.

There's someting instantaneously, thoroughly dislikable about Dave Gorman. But it's still quite amusing.

I like him.

I thought it was OK, and I can imagine it will improve. I like Dave Gorman too.

I liked the bus best!

The only non genius. :(

What if rebels overthrow the bus station and produce a dictatorship?! I'm not using public transport again!

Huh?

It seemed a bit like another Room 101.

Quote: Aaron @ March 20 2009, 11:06 PM GMT

There's someting instantaneously, thoroughly dislikable about Dave Gorman.

You know what: I like Dave Gorman a *lot*, and I still know what you mean.

When I watched America Unchained, I actually thought after about 10 minutes: "This is just a bloke who doesn't want to get a proper job, f**king about." Luckily, the book was much better than that.

Anyway, I did enjoy this tonight (and the red button bit). It's not as refined as the radio show, but it was still very funny. At least it didn't seem to just directly translate ideas from the radio (did it? I don't remember any of them previously) like some do when they make the transition.

Dan

Ditto Dave Gorman. Odd - seems too earnest to be a comedian. But I stuck with it last night and it was ok.

I remember the running shoe idea done on the radio show. Is that rather unfair to have the same idea done twice? And does it mean they haven't got any new ideas and that they are just using good ones from the radio series.

By the way, that taxi driver guy was quite odd.

An OK start though, we have to give it a few more episodes to gets its feet. Frank Skinner should be good when he's on.

Quote: Sean Prower @ March 21 2009, 11:49 AM GMT

I remember the running shoe idea done on the radio show. Is that rather unfair to have the same idea done twice? And does it mean they haven't got any new ideas and that they are just using good ones from the radio series.

Considering the fact that it was originally declared to be "Not Genius" on the radio version, I would say that they are low on ideas.

Still, if you got better ones, you can email them to the show.

I'm annoyed this was scheduled opposite Free Agents so I missed it. I'm sure I'll catch it at some point though. I like Dave Gorman's writing style and have liked his previous series.