Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 7

Just watched on iPlayer....very good but his "dragging it out" seems a little pointless. It just felt like he tips past the length of time where more people will be getting bored with him getting to the point that appreciate his delay. If he knocked down his rambling by 10% I think he'd loose 1 fan and gain 20 (and yet he'd still be a long way of attracting the sort of fans that I doubt he wants).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2009, 3:53 PM GMT

Did you ever like Lee then? If not, why did you watch? Just curious is all. :)

No, not really. "Just curious is all" - Thought he might have got funnier.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 17 2009, 2:26 PM GMT

According to this, the show only got a million viewers, down on the average for that slot. But...I hope the Beeb realise that those million viewers are a quality million. Not just some bloody rubbish million. Oh no!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/17/stewart-lee-comedy-vehicle-tv-ratings

1 million viewers is good I think, it is what I'd expect a Stewart Lee show to get, he isn't a well known name in the mainstream because he doesn't go whoring himself out to every show going. It is likely that same 1 million that was watching Peep Show before it started getting more recognition.

The new controller of BBC Two said they are looking to create more shows with a voice and something to say and not simply relying on ratings. Let's hope they stick to that mantra.

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 17 2009, 4:15 PM GMT

Thought he might have got funnier.

Angry Rolling eyes Angry

This was absolute quality. It's the only show I've wanted to watch again the day afterwards, which I shall go and do now.

I realise I am a big Stewart Lee evangelist, though, so will probably start to go on a bit if I don't shut up quickly.

The guy is a genius, in my opinion. Best stand-up ever. (Not to everyone's taste, granted though...)

Dan

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

Angry Rolling eyes Angry

:P :P :P

Just watched it. Absolutely brilliant!

It was brilliant. Devastating critiques of those thrust on us by the BBC for no good reason - Brand, Moyles, and also the Radio 4 style of comedy brutally deconstructed. So fierce an attack on the BBC's priorities in fact that I was quite surprised they let it through.

I thought it was excellent, best comedy I've seen(standup) for a while.

Advert was rubbish though, my mum, bless her, asked me: "Do you know who this guy is? He just stands there doing nothing! I'm off to watch Last Of The Summer Wine."

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2009, 12:13 PM GMT

Something like that, basically acting like a befuddled older person trying to explain what they think a 'rap singer' is, and getting several things mixed up whilst in the process.

Ah, so that's what it was meant to be.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2009, 11:49 AM GMT

http://www.chortle.co.uk/shows/tv/s/16853/stewart_lees_comedy_vehicle/review/

*Agrees*

"The topic was bad literature, with forest-wasting tomes by the likes of Russell Brand, Jeremy Clarkson, Dan Brown, So Solid Crew's Asher D and Chris Moyles being skewered by his poisonous wit."

Good observations well made, certainly. But "skewered by his poisonous wit"? Did BBC Two simulcast different versions of the same programme somehow...?

Quote: zooo @ March 17 2009, 2:32 PM GMT

Not exactly going to attract new fans is it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2009, 2:33 PM GMT

That did seem odd. What about that would make you watch if you weren't already a fan of his?

So it really was a perfect match for the show.

Quote: Tiggs @ March 17 2009, 3:58 PM GMT

Just watched on iPlayer....very good but his "dragging it out" seems a little pointless. It just felt like he tips past the length of time where more people will be getting bored with him getting to the point that appreciate his delay. If he knocked down his rambling by 10% I think he'd loose 1 fan and gain 20 (and yet he'd still be a long way of attracting the sort of fans that I doubt he wants).

Agree.

Some of the things in that Chortle review are beyond ridiculous.

"Who else could elicit chortles for dusting the mic stand with his hand or fiddling wordlessly with one of the light fittings?"

Er, anyone, given that gag set-up.

Quote: Aaron @ March 17 2009, 7:59 PM GMT

Er, anyone, given that gag set-up.

I wouldn't say anyone. Lee definitely has the style of drawn-out, patience testing pauses and meandering down to a tee and induces much hilarity. Sure there are others that could do it, but not quite as well.

I think the drawn out bits work much better live, I remember seeing Stewart Lee live a couple of years ago and been in fits of giggles during one of his repetitious bits. On TV it could do with being cut down a bit, but not too much to take away from the actual point.

Anyway think I may watch this again in a bit. It felt so refreshing, so completely different to any other current comedy show, a comedian not pandering to the lowest common denominator and genuinely passionate about what he is saying, a show that makes you think as well as laugh.

To whoever said it reminded them of Dave Allen At Large is spot on, I believe that is the style of show Lee suggested to the BBC when pitching the show.

Just watched it on BBC iPlayer and thought it was brilliant.

It actually amazes me that the BBC allowed something this good to go out. Surely they could have kept the money "wasted" on this and instead helped to deliver another teen comedy on BBC Three.

I especially loved his Chris Moyles bit. That fat idiot doesn't have the piss taken out of him enough. Can't wait for episode 2.

I saw this last night and despite having already seen most of the routine at the Edinburgh Festival last year, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Very funny man! Can't wait to see next week's episode!

Quote: catskillz @ March 17 2009, 12:12 PM GMT

The show was great, but what was all that "handrail" business about? Was he meant to be getting rappers mixed up with skateboarders or something?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2009, 12:13 PM GMT

Something like that, basically acting like a befuddled older person trying to explain what they think a 'rap singer' is, and getting several things mixed up whilst in the process.

Parkour.

The red button 'interview' with Ianucci was hilarious too. Loved the 'letter' from Dan Brown.

They are doing those Iannucci interviews after every episode! :D