Derek and Clive Page 2

Yes, I'm a bit surprised it hasn't ended up as a play on Radio 4 yet.

Some of Derek & Clive, let's be honest, is tired drunken drivel. You have to wade through the rubbish to get to the odd gem or two. Although Miller is a pompous highbrow arts nob, he was right I think in saying D&C was the worst of a great double act who had become jaded and cynical and ruined by booze and fame.

Cook didn't know he was creating a niche product that would be celebrated by many, he was just living out his alcahol driven breakdown in the only way he knew how. The 2nd album was probably a commercial decision to cash in on the success but the first was just an obsessive act by Cook. Remember his obsession with recordings and destroyed tapes.

It's more than a bit ironicic that his bitterness at the BBC would drive him on to produce recordings that became nearly banned, but ended up instead being his most listened to work, and more or less resurrected his career.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 22 2011, 2:41 PM BST

Although Miller is a pompous highbrow arts nob, he was right I think in saying D&C was the worst of a great double act who had become jaded and cynical and ruined by booze and fame.

It was ground-breakingly filthy at the time, so it deserves special recognition for that, if nothing else.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 22 2011, 2:41 PM BST

Some of Derek & Clive, let's be honest, is tired drunken drivel. You have to wade through the rubbish to get to the odd gem or two.

I'm glad you've said that. I was hoping I wasn't the only one with that opinion.
I've got a couple of the Derek and Clive CDs and there are parts that make me roar with laughter and other parts where I think 'where are they going with this' or 'they've really lost it now', but I'm guessing that was due to the nature of what they were doing. Just hitting record and seeing what happens. I know little about these tapes, I really should do some research.

"Oh, my old man's a dustman, he wears a dustman's hat
He's got f**king cancer, now what do you think of that!"

The fact that almost 40 years later they're still quite shocking to listen to shows, to me at least, just how "out-there" they were. I mean can you see someone like Mitchell & Webb producing anything like it?

;) What about Kenneth?

I loved Derek and Clive very 'anarchic' for its time.

"Did it look like this?"

Jolly batey classic stuff..

My Mum came into the room and sucked my f**king knob, oh!

She put her mouth right, her mouth right round it and then she done a gob

On the end of it to make it smooth and make it nice and soft

And then she tossed me right off with her, er, Mrs. Mopp

Quote: Elliott Gill @ September 25 2011, 12:58 PM GMT

I'm glad you've said that. I was hoping I wasn't the only one with that opinion.
I've got a couple of the Derek and Clive CDs and there are parts that make me roar with laughter and other parts where I think 'where are they going with this' or 'they've really lost it now', but I'm guessing that was due to the nature of what they were doing. Just hitting record and seeing what happens. I know little about these tapes, I really should do some research.

"Oh, my old man's a dustman, he wears a dustman's hat
He's got f**king cancer, now what do you think of that!"

OH!!!!

He's got cancer in his f**king knob, he thinks it's f**king big
His knob is full of cancer, the thing is falling off
And worst of all, the worst of it, he's got this f**king cough

brilliant!!

I've always wanted to hear a 12 inch remix of the 'my mum song' with a classic 80s beat behind it!

I would like to retract anything negative I've written above about Derek and Clive.

In the last three months I've become addicted to Ad nauseam, I've watched 'Derek and Clive Get The Horn' about 50 times and I've made my own compilation CD. The only down sides are that I spontaneously burst out laughing in public places and my friends are sick to death of me banging on about everything that gives me horn, my feelings towards endangered animals, that I'm the new host on the game show 'Blow your tits up' or how I asked my minority friend who lives down the road to deal with the director general of the BBC.

"I HATE YOU, 'COS YOU'RE ALL C**TS,
I HATE YOU, FOR VERY GOOD REASONS
I HATE YOU, IN THE AUTUMN, IN THE SPRING
I HATE YOU, IN ANY SEASON 'COS YOU'RE C**TS
YOU'RE C**TS, F**KING C**TS, F**KING C**TS, F**KING C**TS!" - Punk Song (take 1) which is also my new ring tone.

Derek and Clive, rest in peace.

Laughing out loud Fond memories, must seek out LP!

Coughin' Contest is my favourite sketch. Cook has Moore genuinely cracking up throughout. The material is still pretty heavy today - must have been truly horrifying at the time. Exxxxcelent.

Hey everyone. I have a quick question for any hardcore Derek and Clive fans on here. I have the Virgin / EMI CDs of the albums Come Again & Ad Nauseam and if you remove all the bonus material both albums run to just over 1 hour, however when they were originally released on vinyl back in the late 70s they were only released as single discs. I was under the impression that a 12" record couldn't hold more than 45 minutes of material.

Did these records both run for an hour each or were they edited down? If anyone knows I'd be interested to find out, if not I may have to invest in the vinyls. Cheers. ;o)

I was listening to some of this for the first time this morning at 7am! Anyway, I thought parts of it were hilarious and other bits annoying. I think it worked best when they were trying to make each other laugh but in character and by saying ridiculous things, like the crapping in the trousers bit. But I didn't like the singing, the coughing contest because it nearly broke my speakers lol and the bits that were in front of an audience!

I found it awful then and even more awful now reading it as part of a book of Peter Cook's work. Maybe some found it funny at the time as it was shocking and anti-establishment, but if Ant and Dec or whoever tried to revive it it would just sound really really shit.

Ant & Dec should totally do THIS!