Daniel Kitson Page 3

I saw him twice live. The first time was hilarious and brilliant. The second time, which was about a year later at the same venue was awful. I couldn't work out why there was such a big difference in quality between the two shows. Not quite sure what to make of it.

This sounds like a 'I mixed up the stand-up and artsy shows' story...

Dan

Quote: DougWonnacott @ March 23 2012, 3:48 PM GMT

I Saw him twice live. The first time was hilarious and brilliant. The second time, which was about a year later at the same venue was awful. I couldn't work out why there was such a big difference in quality between the two shows. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Any chance you'd been bereaved the second time around?

Quote: David Bussell @ March 24 2012, 9:57 AM GMT

The only person that died that night was Daniel Kitson.

Quote: David Bussell @ March 24 2012, 9:57 AM GMT

:D

I was just nosing through some threads and thought 'ooh Daniel Kitson' then realised I'd started the thread! I've seen him a couple of times now and officially love him (although I've only seen him with trousers on Angie).

He hosted a post Edinburgh show last year and I saw his It's Always Right Now Until It's Later show at the National which was very different - as someone said it's not all 'stand up' as such.

I can imagine that he can be a bit hit and miss - from the little I know he seems to work a lot of his ideas out on stage at free or almost free gigs rather than bringing a completely ready show to us but I like that. I'm definitely hoping to see lots more of his work.

I may be wrong but I suspect it's not for Aaron. He can get the big laughs but I don't think he's too concerned with chasing them relentlessly and he's also quite thoughtful and thought provoking. (Not that Aaron isn't thoughtful or thought provoking but from what I remember of hs posts I'm not sure this is his type of comedy).

So there - older me has answered younger me's question! What else can I ask myself? (No rude suggestions please!)

:)

Quote: Jane P @ June 8 2012, 7:47 AM BST

I may be wrong but I suspect it's not for Aaron.

I don't think anything is for Aaron unless it is from the 1970s or votes Conservative.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 8 2012, 8:08 AM BST

I don't think anything is for Aaron unless it is from the 1970s or votes Conservative.

:) Ahh but wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing? - and imagine the queues!

Not quite true...

Went to seen Daniel Kitson perform It's Alright until it's Later for the very last time at the Royal Exchange Manchester last night. Superb. Just wish he would tour his current stand-up show.

The show was being being filmed by 6 cameras. I was puzzled by this because he never releases DVDs of his shows. Any suggestions for why he filmed it?

So. I've always read how good/adored by his peers Kitson is, but have never managed to see him live because his shows always sell out so quickly. Then, I just managed to get tickets to a benefit that he's on with Stewart Lee in a couple of weeks, which I can't wait for. Really hoping not to sound naive, but is he really THAT good? Not a pessimistic question by the way, I really hope he is! Just worried that expectations are too high!

I had never seen or heard of this fella but from watching the clip in the original post - he was very funny.

So. Just got back from the Resofit benefit gig, at which Kitson was compere and... well, what can I say? I'm a Kitson convert! The man just oozes funny, there's no way to put it into words. Now to try and go about seeing a full show of his (somehow, before all the other rabid fans snap up all the tickets in a few milliseconds)

So, I was having a late night pint with Mark and Jane (another BCG person, not sure if she's on here) on my last night at the fringe and this flyerer came up to us and handed us a flyer that listed Kiri Prichard, Goose, Jayde Adams, Gein's Family Giftshop, Tim Key and Daniel Kitson kind of in the small print down at the bottom. And we were all deathly tired and were going to write it off as being a list of performers who have done that particular benefit gig in past years, but then Mark says he saw Kitson earlier or some nonsense, so Jane and I get immediately super excited and book it all the way across town to the venue (which was literally part of the building the hostel I stayed in was in), and got in the queue juuuust in time to get let in before they started turning people down (the queue was massive!), and lo and behold, all the acts listed were there. I can't effing believe I got to see Kitson! And it wasn't the stuff he was just doing in his London run either. It was pretty much all just riffing on the weird stuff going on in the room, like the guy in the audience who got fired from his food delivery job for sampling the food too much, and the giant glitter ball on the ceiling. He killed it! Tim Key was excellent too, though it was definitely W.I.P stuff. Gein's were also wonderful. I'm really glad I got to see them. That was the best possible way to end my Fringe. Nevermind that the show ended at like 2am and I had a 17 hour flight at 7am to get to.

Never thought I;d see the day - a full length Kitson show has been filmed! http://video.danielkitson.com/

If you want to see if though, I'd shake a leg and rent it, because he says he still hopes for a physical release so it may only be up for a limited time.

I'll rent it as soon as I get the okay from you saying it's really good. Which I suspect is inevitable, but I'm just stalling. Honestly I'll probably rent it tonight after work regardless of your verdict (though I do appreciate your input on comedy, especially Kitson). How many times now have you seen him Sitcomfan? I still feel like the luckiest girl in the world fot having gotten to see him on a total fluke at the Fringe last year.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 8th June 2012, 8:08 AM

This post made me laugh. Having met both Ian and Aaron at the Fringe just adds slightly to my reading of that comment. (Which, Aaron, I know is not true. But it is funny...to me.)