Current radio comedy Page 99

I only heard the last couple of minutes. Sounded quite good. I'll catch up with it.

4 Extras's Comedy Greats the 90s (available till tomorrow) has been revealing. Early Milton Jones with a string of writers including, from memory, Jon Holmes, in search of the style he eventually found. Early Armstrong and Miller - their Children's Hour - clumsy and unfunny.

I've given A Month of June two tries now. It's not comedy, not drama, not really anything at all except limp, predictable pap. The lady deserves much much better.

Quote: italophile @ June 16 2012, 6:51 AM BST

I've given A Month of June two tries now. It's not comedy, not drama, not really anything at all except limp, predictable pap. The lady deserves much much better.

Very true. I listened to the second one and it was a bit of a mess. Shame. She is a phenomenal actor and this really wasn't the showcase that was promised.

I listened to a pilot called Small Scenes, a new comedy sketch show on Radio 4. It had a few laughs but it was mostly weird throughout.

Re-listening to series 3 of Cabin Pressure has been brilliant. Shame there is only one episode to go.

Yes, Small Scenes treads the surreal track, a tricky old route for the unwary because pointlessness and obscurity lie in wait.

The Infinite Monkey Cage

New series. :)

I don't think we list The Infinite Monkey Cage as a comedy.

Well, it is funny (a lot of the time). :)

Can we allow it in if it's funnier than The Now Show?

I actually find the "comedy" aspect of The Infinite Monkey Cage the worst part of it, quite often there will be an interesting discussion which is completely derailed by someone making a cheap joke (tonight's for example, when Cox made a joke about being "under pressure").

People expressed an interest last time it was mentioned, and there's a new series on, so I thought I'd mention it again. I didn't expect some sort of Spanish Inquisition...

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 20 2012, 1:17 AM BST

Can we allow it in if it's funnier than The Now Show?

:D

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 20 2012, 9:21 AM BST

People expressed an interest last time it was mentioned, and there's a new series on, so I thought I'd mention it again. I didn't expect some sort of Spanish Inquisition...

Pff! Lilly-livered lightweight.

Does a podcast count as radio?
Just listening to https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/episode_8_stewart_lee/

Hil-blimmin-arious.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 19 2012, 6:02 PM BST

I don't think we list The Infinite Monkey Cage as a comedy.

I think it is regarded by the BBC as a replacement for Home Planet. a proper science programme that did not think it was necessary to have blokes off the telly to keep the plebs interested.

Quote: zooo @ June 20 2012, 6:08 PM BST

Does a podcast count as radio?

Definition 2 on Google Dictionary.

-The activity or industry of broadcasting sound programs to the public.