Current radio comedy Page 81

Quote: Nogget @ January 20 2012, 5:36 PM GMT

Chauvinist pig!

Wave

Quote: KLRiley @ January 20 2012, 4:19 PM GMT

But I think Clare is a tool, (which may be the point) but one which irritates the life out of me as did Brittas rather than a tool that is fighting circumstances as with Basil Fawlty. It is nothing to do with the character being female.

I think that's a personal response. I think she's a basically decent human being who ends up behaving like a tool because she feels she has to fit in with all the PC nonsense of her profession. Which was the basic thesis of the cartoon strip it arose from (in the Guardian Society section, if memory serves): how does a nice middle-class girl from the suburbs fit in with a load of hardcore lefties. I think it's become less penetrating politically, as (like all workplace comedies) you've learnt more about the backstory and the writers have run out of workplace gags and and ended up writing generic comedy soap.

And at least she _is_ irritating you. Compare with Episodes, where you genuinely didn't care, because the two leads were the personification of the colour beige.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ January 20 2012, 7:38 PM GMT

I think that's a personal response. I think she's a basically decent human being who ends up behaving like a tool because she feels she has to fit in with all the PC nonsense of her profession. Which was the basic thesis of the cartoon strip it arose from (in the Guardian Society section, if memory serves): how does a nice middle-class girl from the suburbs fit in with a load of hardcore lefties. I think it's become less penetrating politically, as (like all workplace comedies) you've learnt more about the backstory and the writers have run out of workplace gags and and ended up writing generic comedy soap.

And at least she _is_ irritating you. Compare with Episodes, where you genuinely didn't care, because the two leads were the personification of the colour beige.

I've only just picked up on it, mainly because everyone raved about it and I'm sitting here saying meh.
Episodes. So memorable that I had to look it up as I couldn't remember a thing about it. But yep, hated that too. But that was as much my own personal (and highly irrational)dislike of Stephen Mangan.

Quote: KLRiley @ January 20 2012, 8:00 PM GMT

that was as much my own personal (and highly irrational)dislike of Stephen Mangan.

Irrational maybe, but he's certainly been in an awful lot of rubbish comedies.

:) Hello Tokyo I think I like you, have you been on the 'Intro' page? Would be nice to hear a bit about your ideas like/dislikes and such.

Guys we must praise the mighty 'Fags Mags and Bags' love it bestest even if I don't quite understand the Lingo! :P

The News Quiz has never exactly been a must-listen show, but Friday's edition was dreadful. Rebecca Front, whom I like, was absolutely awful on it.

Quote: chipolata @ January 29 2012, 10:44 PM GMT

The News Quiz has never exactly been a must-listen show, but Friday's edition was dreadful. Rebecca Front, whom I like, was absolutely awful on it.

Actress who doesn't write own material turns out to be weak without decent material, shock.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ January 29 2012, 11:01 PM GMT

Actress who doesn't write own material turns out to be weak without decent material, shock.

Nah, some work out all right. And she was okay in the DVD commentaries to I'm Alan Partridge, which were unscripted. I'm guessing topical isn't her forte.

Hi I'm a newbie

Some of my favourite radio comedies include Cabin Pressure, The News Quiz and The Now Show.

Currently I've enjoyed The Unbelivable Truth, I, Regress, Continuity, Another Case of Milton Jones, It's Your Round and Bleak Expectations (Only heard one episode because it only started from the beginning last week).

Just conducted a little test. Listened to Cabin Pressure and Clare back to back. And my opinions remain unchanged. Cabin Pressure good. Clare dross.

;) No No No!

I listened to Clare tonight, found it very funny!

:) I can really visualise myself doing/thinking her way, oh dear do sound a dodgy bitch now!

Enjoyed Bleak Expectations especially the sound that Harry Biscuit made when he was nervous.

Clare in the Community was good as well.

The News Quiz was great today, especially the joke about what happens when someone loses their knighthood : "They go back to Buckingham Palace and the Queen drops down their pants" Laughing out loud