Current radio comedy Page 133

Quote: paulted @ 2nd May 2016, 9:35 PM BST

Loving the News Quiz with Miles Jupp at the helm. Much improved without the vastly overrated Sandi Toksvig.

I didn't mind Sandi, but I find Miles easier on the ear.

Welcome To Wherever You Are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07gh57z

I'm liking it. :)

Always meaning to hear more radio sitcoms but can never work out when they're on. What was the sitcom with Ronnie Corbett in called? That was my favourite of all the ones I've caught odd episodes of, after Count Arthur Strong ofcourse. Good middle brow sitcom with the warmth of Corbett's voice, excellent. NBNHants also liked for similar homey sitcom reasons, they work well on radio, WTOVP Invade Quietly another of that home based middle Englandy ilk, not as good as above two as it gets sidetracked by frequent attempts at topical/modern cultural humour which can be embarrassing more than funny.

Mags, Fags, Bags was pretty good for ten mins or so, more funny line type material which can irritate me after a while, not one I'd want to follow every week. Ed Reardon's Week, okay listening if I caught it but incredibly insular in theme, a writer writing about disappearing up his own arse, in essence. Cabin Pressure, hated it - like a crossword setter's manic breakdown. Clever, busy, wordy, cerebral with zero heart, good comedy maybe but not sitcom in its truest sense.

Another I've heard just one episode of recently and much in the CP mould for clever wordiness was a two hander starred and written by the excellent Frank Skinner. I got along with this much better because it had heart (or sentimentality if you like) as well. No idea what it's called tho. Anyone know? And when it's on, ta.

Listen to them on i-Player? Buy a Radio Times?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th July 2016, 11:17 AM BST

Always meaning to hear more radio sitcoms but can never work out when they're on. What was the sitcom with Ronnie Corbett in called? That was my favourite of all the ones I've caught odd episodes of, after Count Arthur Strong ofcourse. Good middle brow sitcom with the warmth of Corbett's voice, excellent. NBNHants also liked for similar homey sitcom reasons, they work well on radio, WTOVP Invade Quietly another of that home based middle Englandy ilk, not as good as above two as it gets sidetracked by frequent attempts at topical/modern cultural humour which can be embarrassing more than funny.

Mags, Fags, Bags was pretty good for ten mins or so, more funny line type material which can irritate me after a while, not one I'd want to follow every week. Ed Reardon's Week, okay listening if I caught it but incredibly insular in theme, a writer writing about disappearing up his own arse, in essence. Cabin Pressure, hated it - like a crossword setter's manic breakdown. Clever, busy, wordy, cerebral with zero heart, good comedy maybe but not sitcom in its truest sense.

Another I've heard just one episode of recently and much in the CP mould for clever wordiness was a two hander starred and written by the excellent Frank Skinner. I got along with this much better because it had heart (or sentimentality if you like) as well. No idea what it's called tho. Anyone know? And when it's on, ta.

The Frank Skinner/Katherine Parkinson two hander was called "Don't Start" and it doesn't appear to be on the iPlayer Radio app at the moment. I'm sure that it'll return soon though.

Ah yes, set in a car, brilliant use of driving metaphors wasn't it. Too wordy to be my sitcom cup of tea but certainly ear catching for a one off.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th July 2016, 5:23 PM BST

Ah yes, set in a car, brilliant use of driving metaphors wasn't it. Too wordy to be my sitcom cup of tea but certainly ear catching for a one off.

It's beautifully crafted. The 15 minute running time is perfect, otherwise it would begin to grate.

Skinner states that the germ of the idea was his current volatile relationship.

Coogan's Partridge voice is quite different in the 1992 radio series isn't it?

Yes and no.

Quote: Will Cam @ 10th July 2016, 9:24 PM BST

Yes and no.

It sounds much more 'London' to me. Also, it's pitched lower.

Don't start was wonderful, so well crafted.

Anyone tried Plum House. Surely the worst "comedy" of recent years on Radio 4. Couldn't find any humour in it at all.

"The Break" wasn't too bad though.

In Therapy. This isn't comedy, but you could very easily imagine it being the basis of something hilarious and tragically moving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070v8bn

Just started listening to 'Ed Reardon's Week' (again after giving up previously, possibly too early). There's a couple of funny moments - I'm still in the first series - but he really is an unlikeable character. I know that's kind of the point but I need some reason to root for him or invest the time and I'm not getting it yet.

Also just listened to 'Expenses' and it didn't really grab me but as they said in the introduction it will only make sense to under 30s which is long in the past for me (I probably am becoming Ed Reardon...)

Quote: Geffers @ 13th July 2016, 3:49 PM BST

Don't start was wonderful, so well crafted.

Anyone tried Plum House. Surely the worst "comedy" of recent years on Radio 4. Couldn't find any humour in it at all.

"The Break" wasn't too bad though.

Totally agree about "Don't Start". Not a wasted word. Beautifully scripted and played.

"Plum House" is a waste of a very talented cast. Tries but fails to be off-beat, eccentric. Ends up dull and predictable.

"Tim Vine's Chat Show" is very silly but a lot of fun. Tim continues to cast a giant shadow over Milton Jones in the pun department. Tim is funny, Milton is strained.

Quote: italophile @ 23rd July 2016, 8:20 AM BST

"Tim Vine's Chat Show" is very silly but a lot of fun. Tim continues to cast a giant shadow over Milton Jones in the pun department. Tim is funny, Milton is strained.

While there are obvious similarities, I think they are quite different performers. Milton tends toward the surreal, whereas Tim is like a champion of the dad-joke.