Current radio comedy Page 122

Nearly all of Christmas Day on BBC Radio 4 Extra is dedicated to Richard Briers. :)

Quote: swerytd @ 18th December 2013, 5:04 PM GMT

So, Mitchell & Webb have an 'exclusive' (read: annoying) Radio 4 Extra-only episode as episode 5 in this 4-episode run.

Dan

And it is bloody good.

Good series throughout for M&W. Are there future series' planned?

The Mark Steele Lectures on BBC radio iPlayer are. Well worth a listen. Very funny.

Can't agree with M&W, Skinner and all the big TV names getting all the radio work too. I agree that much of the no name radio comedy is pathetic, but surely it's a place for mid range names people who aren't really funny like Arthur Smith and Pam Ayres. Jeremy Hardy needs to be put through a meat grinder, whiny poncy little prat. Perkins fits in wherever she goes, amiable, pliable, although I've never tried folding her up and putting her into a small box, then throwing the key away.

So much anger Alfred. 'Tis the season of peace and goodwill to all men and all that swaddling.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 26th December 2013, 8:52 AM GMT

Can't agree with M&W, Skinner and all the big TV names getting all the radio work too. I agree that much of the no name radio comedy is pathetic, but surely it's a place for mid range names people who aren't really funny like Arthur Smith and Pam Ayres. Jeremy Hardy needs to be put through a meat grinder, whiny poncy little prat. Perkins fits in wherever she goes, amiable, pliable, although I've never tried folding her up and putting her into a small box, then throwing the key away.

Jeremy Hardy??

Are you mental!?!

The guy is bloody hilarious

I'm guessing its his politics you object to

Well I'm as left wing as they come but I still think Giles Brandreth is hilarious

The man should have his own TV and radio shows - he's a legend

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th December 2013, 7:42 PM GMT

Jeremy Hardy??

Are you mental!?!

The guy is bloody hilarious

I'm guessing its his politics you object to

Well I'm as left wing as they come but I still think Giles Brandreth is hilarious

The man should have his own TV and radio shows - he's a legend

Jeremy Hardy does have his own radio shows. One of them, Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation, has been running for 20 years.

Yes I am aware - I've listened to every episode about five times

Great stuff

Benedict Cumberbatch is performing as Rumpole on Radio 4. Anyone interested in that?

Cumberbatch gives it a new lease of life and removes what may be an old booze-soaked buffer problem, if they're going to do it on telly again.

Suppose we'll get Young Rumpole at school, then a cartoon version of his kindergarten days and so on.

Paul Whitehouse's Nurse has been absolutely lovely. Heartwarming, perceptive, full of very well drawn characters. Everything Derek isn't.

Down the Line also rocks.

Quite like Nathalie Haynes Stand Up for the Classics. At least you learn something. On currently, Mondays.

The News Quiz is a bit of a mixture. The chairman's script has some very well-written gags, but the panel themselves (last week at least) were pretty much completely unfunny. Better to just read the gags out all at once and cut the show by 20 minutes.

Quote: Marissa @ 2nd April 2014, 11:22 PM BST

Cumberbatch gives it a new lease of life and removes what may be an old booze-soaked buffer problem, if they're going to do it on telly again.

I thought zooo might have been interested?

Quote: Marissa @ 2nd April 2014, 11:22 PM BST

Paul Whitehouse's Nurse has been absolutely lovely. Heartwarming, perceptive, full of very well drawn characters. Everything Derek isn't.

I fully agree with you here Marissa, everyone should listen to it (episodes are only 15 mins - what are you waiting for!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0415hb8

Tittle Tattle is a 45 minute play about Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey and their mums having afternoon tea at Derry and Toms - is this sounding a bit gay?

Martyn Hesford wrote Fantabulosa in which Michael Sheen gave such a fabulous turn. This is also sharply observed, with brilliant performances from both leads.

Available till next Monday.