Current radio comedy Page 119

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 23 2013, 12:12 AM BST

I heard a bit of Davis Sedaris tonight on R4.

Not bad I thought.

Better than not bad for me. Lovely writer, constantly surprises with his tangents. Reads it very well too. He's being repeated to death on R4 Extra.

Quote: Horseradish @ August 23 2013, 6:16 PM BST

Unlike the OP, I am more of a radio person than a TV one. Currently I'm very enthusiastic about Radio 4 Extra.

I'm wondering what other people think ...

I listen to it a hell of a lot. Yes, as posted above, they overdo the repeats of several shows, but they also resurrect a lot of material that would otherwise never be heard again. Eg, I'd never come across Robin and Wendy's Wet Weekend before. Gloriously black comedy take on marital relations. And there are many others.

The Comedy Club, though, has become immensely annoying with its guest presenters doing their individual shtick around the programmes, unfunny and tiresome for the most part. Peacock and Gamble in particular.

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme still funny, but increasingly he is just getting things off his chest.

Now, I don't mind that. The controlled comedy rant is a wonderful thing (he co-writes Mitchell's Soapbox thingy, doens't he?). I think JF can spend as much time as he likes getting things off his chest, or dissecting conventions with ruthless logic, even though I can understand that others might find it wearing.

On last night's I wasn't very convinced by the speech impediment author, and certainly didn't think it needed to be stretched over 3 sketches. Another rant would have been preferable in my book.

The Rory Bremner show on Friday's doesn't quite work, but I'm still enjoying it, and it makes a nice change from the News Quiz/Now Show tyranny.

Quote: Tursiops @ September 9 2013, 7:27 PM BST

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme still funny, but increasingly he is just getting things off his chest.

The first episode was excellent, the second one dipped in quality quite a bit. Still funny, but very little stuck in my mind.

Meet David Sedaris is really growing on me. 'Six to Eight Black Men' had me laughing out loud throughout.

Enjoying Paul Sinah's thing on Sunday's, even if you can pretty much predict what all the targets of his comedy will be.

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme has been very good, and I'm enjoying the repeats of Cowards - shame their TV sketch show didn't last.

Quote: Harridan @ October 5 2013, 12:16 PM BST

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme has been very good

Episodes 1,3 and 5 were fantastic. 2 and especially 4 seemed below his par for me. Hoping the final episode wil buck this alternate trend. Cool

Soon to be a current Radio 4 comedy- though I can't imagine why- 'My First Planet' is about to record a new series...
:O :S

Enjoyed the feminist woman on Radio 4 last night. Glad that the summer doldrums are over and we''re finally getting back to proper comedy in the 6:30 slot, and not just dreary shows like My Teenage Diary.

Hi Ive been collecting radio programmes, particularly sitcoms for a while after being totally seduced by Hancock's Half Hour and Round the Horne in my youth. I have now returned to collecting and have many complete series but am 1 or 2 odd episodes of series missing and wondered if anyone out there could help ? In particular I am searching for After Henry Series 4 Episode 4,Bristow Series 1 Episode 6, Brothers in Law SEries 1 Episode 5, Electric Ink Series 1 Episode 6 and Our Brave Boys Series 1 Episode 4. If I can help anybody else pursuing similar quests please feel free to ask. Many Thanks

Does anybody know which episode of JAM it is where Paul keeps on going past 60 seconds because nobody wants to interrupt the story and ends up crying "Isn't this minute ever going to end?!"

Lewis Macleod's Wired News was really, really, really, really good.

Not that I am biased.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 21 2013, 9:33 PM BST

Lewis Macleod's Wired News was really, really, really, really good.

Not that I am biased.

Dan

I echo both points

"It's your round" is sometimes good. On the last one, Will Self was just about as funny as he was annoying; and he was extremely annoying.