Mr Bean Page 2

Live. Live action. As opposed to animated. I've not seen enough of them to be able to comment.

Oh right, I thought you meant live as if 'Shown Live on TV' Just the way it was phrased.

I never really liked Mr Bean when it was on, but was forced to watch the dentist episode today and have to admit to really enjoying it. Even though I was in a foul mood it lifted my spirits and I actually laughed out loud a couple of times, made me appreciate just how universal visual comedy is.

I recently watched the dentist episode again...I never realised before the dentist was played by Richard Wilson (with beard).

The bit where he sits an exam in the first ever episode was never bettered

"stop writing please.."

"stop writing please..."

"I SAID STOP WRITING!!"

Laughing out loud

I think Mr Bean has to be one of the finest programmes ever made. An excellent example of fantastic physical comedy and with Rowan atkinson at the helm , it couldn't be better. I think I may start re-watching these again soon.

Quote: lofthouse @ January 20 2013, 12:16 PM GMT

The bit where he sits an exam in the first ever episode was never bettered

"stop writing please.."

"stop writing please..."

"I SAID STOP WRITING!!"

Laughing out loud

...and the funny pink panther figurine.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 20 2013, 9:33 AM GMT

I recently watched the dentist episode again...I never realised before the dentist was played by Richard Wilson (with beard).

I was squinting at the screen thinking 'is it really the 'I don't believe it' guy', he did some very good dead leg acting.

I'll definitely be catching up other episodes, which are the top 5 best Bean episodes?

Quote: AngieBaby @ January 20 2013, 11:51 PM GMT

I was squinting at the screen thinking 'is it really the 'I don't believe it' guy', he did some very good dead leg acting.

I'll definitely be catching up other episodes, which are the top 5 best Bean episodes?

I would say these five, along with the first episode where he takes the test and goes to church.

Back To School Mr. Bean
Merry Christmas Mr Bean
Mr. Bean In Room 426
Hair By Mr. Bean Of London
Goodnight Mr. Bean

Have always loved Mr Bean, one of my favourite episodes is the undressing on the beach. I howled in the cinema too at the films, particularly Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie, the drawing on Whistler's Mother's face is probably my 'ultimate' funny movie moment. (Do we have a ultimate funny movie moment thread?!)

One of my early Bean faves was the scene in the horror movie. Very funny and it gave further insight into his character.

Quote: AngieBaby @ January 20 2013, 11:51 PM GMT

I've always been partial to Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean - but with just 14 episodes, it's probably not too much of a stretch to check them all out?

This box set is very cheap, well worth the investment I reckon. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/mr_bean/buy/489/mr_bean_beans_brilliant_boxset_dvd/

I think the TV Bean is excellent physical comedy whereas the films are sub-standard. One simple reason - the moment Bean talks he just becomes a dysfunctional idiot, in silent mode he is a trickster figure. Logic kills this type of humour, think the boring bits in Marx Brothers movies when they try and give us a coherent plot.

Similar thing happened, for me, with the Pink Panther cartoons! Much, much more elegant when he was silent.

They introduced Mr. Bean to us in Switzerland by showing the "Meet the Queen" episode in cinema before the second Hot Shots movie (not a usual practice). I didn't like the Hots Shots movie that much but I remember telling my parents about this "fantastic new short film/sketch thing". Shortly afterwards Mr. Bean became a worldwide hit.

I love Mr. Bean. My favourites are the swimming one and the New Year one. Laughing out loud