Ever Decreasing Circles Page 5

I remember enjoying it. The best role of Peter Egan's career perhaps?
Apparently Richard Briers thought Tom in The Good Life was also a selfish insufferable character. Interesting.

Ever Decreasing Circles.
Any thoughts on the title? Why was it called that?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd August 2017, 7:09 AM

Ever Decreasing Circles.

The small ripples of a mundane life. The opening sequence showed a drop of water hit a placid lake (in reverse). Briers got worked up about small things that normally went wrong.

I was a Briers fan, what an actor. Loved The Good Life, this was good but not as good for me. Still it did introduce me to Penelope Wilton, I was smitten.

Well there's an expression I have used for years for when you find yourself getting nowhere no matter how hard you try in life and that was "going around in ever decreasing circles", which fitted Martin perfectly - no mystery!

Big fan of EDC. I like all of the main characters.
Funny but can tends to be a bit more dramatic than some sitcom, it's not in your face jokes all the time.
Well written, well acted. One of my faves

Quote: Oldrocker @ 27th February 2013, 9:37 PM

Did she remain faithful though ? On the face of it, yes. But . . . .

Interesting things on the blog. They could have been a planned affair but it was rewritten. Only Peter Egan and Penelope Wilton left to ask... http://foreverdecreasingcircles.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/am-i-imagining-that.html

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th September 2017, 9:48 AM

Interesting things on the blog. They could have be a planned affair but it was rewritten. Only Peter Egan and Penelope Wilton left to ask... http://foreverdecreasingcircles.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/am-i-imagining-that.html

Haven't read all of it, but he did make a very good point re Niles and Daphne - once that scenario was wrapped up by them getting together that interesting story fizzled out and signalled the end of the series.

On a different topic, Howard Hughes certainly fell on hard times in later life, didn't he?

Shame they never made a Howard and Hilda spin-off as I think it would have made for a very good series.

Managed to get the complete set for a fiver. Shame you don't get to see the Guest House Glockenspeil. You also lose sympathy with Paul as after a few hours of taking Ann to the concert a half naked girl is found in his garden. Fast git.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 4th January 2018, 9:06 PM

Shame you don't get to see the Guest House Glockenspeil. .

What was the dream sequence all about? Why is Howard Martin's father? Why wouldn't he see his own father? You don't usually put on a silly voice in your own dream, either.

I know, rules of sitcom...

Why can't I edit my previous post? Anyway:

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd August 2017, 7:09 AM

Ever Decreasing Circles.

There's a reference in The Navy Lark to going round in circles and ending up their own arse. Maybe this is a clue?

I also spotted a Bill Tidyman.

I bloody love EDC.

A brief and uninteresting post admittedly, but heartfelt - and I'm trying to get into double figures with the old post count.

Woo!

Quote: Text Lexus @ 29th June 2019, 2:03 AM

......................and I'm trying to get into double figures with the old post count.

Woo!

Well done. Rolling eyes

LOVE EDC! Will have to dig out my box set to watch again - always said that Howard and Hilda should have had their own sitcom!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th June 2019, 7:17 AM

Well done. Rolling eyes

LOVE EDC! Will have to dig out my box set to watch again - always said that Howard and Hilda should have had their own sitcom!!

Oh I LOVE Howard and Hilda - especially in the episode when they play snooker :)