Best comedy sketch shows Page 3

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ February 25 2009, 9:14 PM GMT

Anyone heard of "Whitest kids u know"?

They're a bit hit and miss, but when they do hit, it's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMbU-we1o

I've seen that before. Hilarious though.

Yea funny stuff. There's a lot of funny sketch shows online. Funnier than what's on TV even. Zebro Picnicface

I've seen far too many sketch shows to list. If I had to limit my favourites to 10 (which would be best rather than listing tons of stuff), this is what I would list.

A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - The most consistently brilliant sketch show you'll see, there's rarely a sketch on this that won't make you laugh. The last series was not quite as good, but the first three are brilliant in almost every way. Hugh's songs are a paticular highlight, as well as the courtroom sketches, The Bishop and The Warlord, and Peter and John.

The Benny Hill Show - A genius who doesn't deserve to be consigned to the archives forever: while he did has some very un-PC comedy, in paticular his digs at women and the Chinese, he did everything in good humour. His stuff actually holds up really well and is just as funny as it would have been back in the 1970s. Great chracters and one time sketches, and he was a good singer.

In Living Color - A sketch show few people will have heard of, this was the show that made Jim Carrey and the Wayans Brothers. For me, this is the best ever chracter based sketch show, with paticulair highlights including Homey The Clown, Men On Film and Fire Marshall Bill. Track this down if you haven't seen it.

Monty Python's Flying Circus - Probably my favourite ever sketch show, almost every episode (barring the final series) has at least a couple of moments of pure genius. I actually enjoy some of the lesser sketches more than the obvious famous ones, such as the Silly Job Interview, How To Defend Yourself Against Fresh Fruit and Mr Hilter. Oh, and the Argument Clinic.

Not The Nine O'Clock News/Alas Smith & Jones - I class these two shows together due to them being very similair. This was the first real anti-authority, anarchistic sketch show of the era, that changed sketch comedy forever. Great sketches and consistently brilliant, although by the time Smith and Jones had reached their fifth series alone, the show had run its course, as became embarrasingly bad by the end.

Robot Chicken - By far the best animated sketch show, this show' very dark in it's humour, but it does the best job of any sketch show at parodying shows of the past as well as modern day stars/shows. Check YouTube for this, since pretty much everything's on there to see.

Spike Milligan In Q - This show is at times, mind bogglingly brilliant: Spike Milligan remains one of Britain's most underrated comedians. Very surreal and completely un-PC, it rarely makes any kind of sense and it's often impossible to remember what you just watched (thus, it has great re-watch value).

The Kids In The Hall - A show that was able to mix great character based comedy with Monty Python style sketches, this is the only show I'd rate up with Monty Python in terms of my all time favourite sketch shows. The Crushing Your head character's still my favourite, and in terms of my favourite sketch, the Pear Dream one was a piece of surreal brilliance.

The Smell Of Reeves and Mortimer - The more I see this show, the more genius it becomes. It's so surreal it's almost impossible to understand at times, and that's why it's so good.

The Two Ronnies - Much like Fry and Laurie, they produce consistently good comedy, mixing clever wordplay with Benny Hill style humour. I love the serials in paticular: my favourite was The Phantom Raspberry Blower.

Honorable mentions to Alexei Sayle's Stuff, Harry Enfield, Absolutely, The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Jasper Carrott's shows, Hale and Pace, Fist Of Fun], Harry Hill, Kenny Everett, Mr Show, SCTV and Tim and Eric. Loking back, I didn't really keep this list down that much.

Also, while I like The Fast Show, no way is it one of the greatest sketch shows ever. Yes, it has some good characters, but it also had some poor ones which would be repeated time and time again throughout each series (much like modern sketch comedy). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, but in my opinion it can't hold a candle to anything in my top ten.

*cough* Not 'Spike Milliagn In'. Just Q (5-8). >_<

Quote: Magnus D @ March 2 2009, 12:37 AM GMT

Also, while I like The Fast Show, no way is it one of the greatest sketch shows ever. Yes, it has some good characters, but it also had some poor ones which would be repeated time and time again throughout each series (much like modern sketch comedy). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, but in my opinion it can't hold a candle to anything in my top ten.

Then your opinion is wrong.

The Fast Show is the best sketch show ever.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ February 25 2009, 6:41 PM GMT

Any Peter Cook and Dudley Moore stuff

Whilst they were privy to genius, they were also responsible for exceptionally indulgent, overlong and unfunny sketches.

Quote: Ben @ March 3 2009, 10:42 AM GMT

The Fast Show is the best sketch show ever.

Wrong!

Quote: Ben @ March 3 2009, 10:42 AM GMT

Whilst they were privy to genius, they were also responsible for exceptionally indulgent, overlong and unfunny sketches.

And leave them alone! Most sketch writers aren't even worthy of licking their shit stained boots.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 3 2009, 11:44 AM GMT

Most sketch writers aren't even worthy of licking their shit stained boots.

Are you unable to have an objective opinion?

Say what Ben?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 3 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

Say what Ben? What do you want me to say?

It's all very well having idols, but I don't see how you can claim someone to be faultless.

Quote: Ben @ March 3 2009, 1:01 PM GMT

It's all very well having idols, but I don't see how you can claim someone to be faultless.

I don't think I did. Cook did some bad work, I was just being jolly-a thousand apologies!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 3 2009, 1:03 PM GMT

I don't think I did. Cook did some bad work, I was just being jolly-a thousand apologies!!

Ok, Matt. That's quite fine.

You see people, It IS possible not to argue with Matt Stott for 54 consecutive posts.

No it isn't.

Oh man, I do love a list....in some sort of particular order although I know I'll have missed something, these are my beauties:

The Day Today
Big Train
Fry and Laurie
Armando Ianucci Shows
Reeves and Mortimer, Bang, Smell etc
Fast Show
Two Ronnies
Monty Python
Alexei Sayle's stuff
Snuff Box
Who Dares Wins
League of Gentlemen

A good sketch show is for me a thing of rare joy, I want to have one when I grow up.

I don't like these list threads. They make me want to buy things. Angry