The Alan Partridge appreciation society Page 4

Could't see any quotes from Knowing me, Knowing You.

Greensville to the rescue!

'Knowing me, Alan Partridge. Sacking you Glen Ponder'

Guest: Underneath our clothes we are, all of us, naked. Even you, Alan.

Alan Partridge: No, I'm not.

"Knowing me Alan Partridge, knowing you the police- a-ha" :D

Cracks me up every time.

After he eats an apple pie heated in a microwave, Alan exclaims 'How long did you put that in for Lynn? It's hotter than the sun!' I love the way Alan says it.

News off the front page:

Steve Coogan has revealed that the Alan Partridge movie will take his hapless chatshow host to America.

Speaking to Empire, Coogan said that an official announcement on the movie will be made in "the next couple of months".

"We're doing it in the States, but I'm not going to try and Americanise it," said Coogan. "I wouldn't try to do the same observational stuff here that I do in Britain. I'm not going to come over here and go, 'Right, now I'm going to try and invent five different characters who are all American,' because I'm not steeped in American culture. It wouldn't work.

"I'm so ingrained in British culture that for me to observe the minutiae of being British in all its different ways is very easy. I couldn't claim to do that here, and if I did they'd end up being caricatures. It'll be a British fool/idiot character in a movie that should appeal to everybody."

Coogan co-writes the Partridge character with Peter Baynham, Patrick Marber and Armando Iannucci.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a190974/alan-partridge-movie-to-be-shot-in-us.html

It could work well. Although I'm not getting my hopes up, at all.

But the thought of Alan "loose" in American is an amusing one. I'd like to see his portrayal of it and hope it's true, he's not going to pander to an American audience (no offence Americas).

Jurassic Park!

Here's a paticular favourite moment from Partridge of mine- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5APPgmwoIQ&feature=related

Anybody know what episode it's from?

BraveAlan, I think! The one about mustard and kitchens.

I wish they'd do another series. I really enjoyed the last and don't think it'd loose its spark with another.

Quote: Leevil @ June 12 2010, 7:18 PM BST

I wish they'd do another series. I really enjoyed the last and don't think it'd loose its spark with another.

Yes, I just watched the second series and loved it. Looking back, I actually think the second series is as good as the first.

Quote: chipolata @ June 12 2010, 7:39 PM BST

Yes, I just watched the second series and loved it. Looking back, I actually think the second series is as good as the first.

It is! To me at least, I've never understood why people rag on it so much. Yes, you could say Coogan is a bit broader in performance as Partridge, but it's all fabulously funny. I know people who love the first series and actually hate the second copmpletely, which baffles me. I think both series are superb.

"I've pierced my foot on a spiiiiike"

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 12 2010, 7:51 PM BST

It is! To me at least, I've never understood why people rag on it so much.

I think you have to put it into context. It was five years between the two series, and, as with Fawlty Towers, expectations were impossibly high when it was first broadcast. Nothing could live up to that.

On top of which, it was broadcast the week after the second series of The Office had finished, and at that point we were all infatuated with Ricky Gervais and perhaps, wrongly, Coogan's style of coimedy suddenly looked passe.

But I agree, I think it's a masterpiece. Whether or not they could replicate that for a third series or film is debatable, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote: chipolata @ June 12 2010, 7:56 PM BST

I think you have to put it into context. It was five years between the two series, and, as with Fawlty Towers, expectations were impossibly high when it was first broadcast. Nothing could live up to that.

That's my main thought too; that it was already a legendary sitcom, and there'd been such a long wait. If it had popped up the year after the first, I imagine most would have taken to it just as much as the first series.

Shoot me in the head with a massive gun! - That one my friend always quotes, but it can be missed when you're watching the episode. KMKY/IAP1/IAP2 all the same, pure gold, can't fault any of them. If you say "comedy" to me, I think "Alan Partridge". I don't watch any other sitcom. I never liked The Office - annoyed me too much - I've had to work with those types of people. Unfunny in real life. I do however enjoy Ricky's stand-up and The Ricky Gervais Show.

Never mind all that; tell me about the lady-boys.