Top 10 British sitcoms ever Page 4

Quote: shaggy292 @ February 19 2009, 9:10 PM GMT

The Boosh is good, but not worthy of a Top 10. 20 definitely, 15 maybe, 10 - no.

Granted, perhaps not of all time, and certainly not among the likes of Steptoe and Porridge, but worthy of an honourable mention at least.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 19 2009, 9:30 PM GMT

What things are up to us all to decide upon on our own.

Well not this, evidently, as you can't be trusted to get things right. ;)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 19 2009, 9:28 PM GMT

Say what you will, but you're wrong. I bet-I BET-if you were to ask the writers what it was, they would say a sketch show. Because it was one. So there.

They have deffo talked about it in interviews. Unfortunately I can't remember what they said!

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2009, 9:33 PM GMT

They have deffo talked about it in interviews. Unfortunately I can't remember what they said!

They said it was an unusual sketch show. Which it is. But a sketch show none the less. :)

1. Only Fools and Horses
2. Porridge
3. Rising Damp
4. Fawlty Towers
5. Watching
6. Whatever Happened to the Likey Lads
7. Blackadder
8. Father Ted
9. Goodnight Sweetheart
10. Yes Prime Minister

These aren't in order.

Spaced
The League of Gentlemen
Alan Partridge (cannot be bothered to figure out which one)
Black Books
The Office
Green Wing
Red Dwarf
Blackadder
The Thick Of It
Peep Show

Maaaaybe the Mighty Boosh. But I've lost a lot of enthusiasm since they've stopped putting anything on telly. NME fashion spreads might be enough to keep 14 year old emos happy, but I need some new stuff please.

I've missed out loads, especially old ones. But my brain is not working that well today.

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2009, 9:35 PM GMT

League of Gentlemen

You're going to get a punch up the bracket, you are.

Hee!
Just try it, Mabel.

(I don't know what that means.)

League of Gentlemen must be a sketch show because as far as I remember ( but no doubt someone will prove me wrong) there was no ( or minor) interaction between the characters in the different sketches. Whatever happened in the one sketch has no effect on the other sketches. And therefore must be a sketch show.

I'm confused now - so you all better be.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 19 2009, 9:36 PM GMT

You're going to get a punch up the bracket, you are.

Quote: bigfella @ February 19 2009, 9:39 PM GMT

League of Gentlemen must be a sketch show because as far as I remember ( but no doubt someone will prove me wrong) there was no ( or minor) interaction between the characters in the different sketches. Whatever happened in the one sketch has no effect on the other sketches. And therefore must be a sketch show.

That's more or less true; until series three, when it did become a sitcom/antholgy stlye thingy.

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2009, 9:35 PM GMT

These aren't in order.

Spaced
The League of Gentlemen
Alan Partridge (cannot be bothered to figure out which one)
Black Books
The Office
Green Wing
Red Dwarf
Blackadder
The Thick Of It
Peep Show

Yikes. Interesting choices.

Wikipedia (yes I know) explains it the same way I think of it :

The League of Gentlemen is primarily a sitcom, albeit an unusual one. It consists of a series of sketches which come together to form an overall story. Since all the action takes place, and nearly all the characters live in the same village, there is much overlap, and the events and characters of one story play a part in the lives of others, much as in a soap opera. There is usually a main plot to which the minor stories tend to be tenuously connected.

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2009, 9:42 PM GMT

Yikes. Interesting choices.

Don't leeeeave me!

:)

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2009, 9:43 PM GMT

Don't leeeeave me!

:)

Ha! Was just thinking about that.

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2009, 9:43 PM GMT

Wikipedia (yes I know) explains it the same way I think of it :

The League of Gentlemen is primarily a sitcom, albeit an unusual one. It consists of a series of sketches which come together to form an overall story. Since all the action takes place, and nearly all the characters live in the same village, there is much overlap, and the events and characters of one story play a part in the lives of others, much as in a soap opera. There is usually a main plot to which the minor stories tend to be tenuously connected.

Wikipedia is primarily wrong.

"It consists of a series of sketches which come together to form an overall story." Apart from this. Though, apart from series three, they don't really come together to form an overall story.