No one gives a f**k what I think but I c**t resist:
1. The Young Ones
2. Fawlty Towers
3. I'm Alan Partridge
4. The Young Ones
5. The Office
6. Han Cock
7. The Young Ones
8. The League of Gentlemen (watch a full series and it becomes more shitcom than sheries)
9. The Young Ones
10. The Young Ones

Only Fools & Horses
Fawlty Towers
Ever Decreasing Circles
Peep Show
One Foot In The Grave
Porridge
Father Ted
The Thick Of It
Yes Minster / Prime Minster
Blackadder

Well I forgot to put mine, I may as well do mine now.

1. Only Fools and Horses.
2. Steptoe and Son (a classic)
3. Allo Allo.
4. Are You Being Served?
5. Men Behaving Badly.
6. Porridge
7. Keeping Up Appearances
8. Man About the House
9. You Rang M'Lord
10. Bottom

Honorable Mentions: Last of the Summer Wine, The Vicar of Dibley, Oh Doctor Beeching!, The Brittas Empire and Open All Hours.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th July 2017, 10:08 AM

Rewatching I'm Alan Partridge. It is, in the words of Charles Dickens, totally f**king awesome. The Jed episode is the most fun you can have without the use of Mel C and a shower attachment.

I'd like to know how they were written and how much touching up there was. If they would be constantly chopping and changing while rehersing it to see what works or if it was a much quicker process than that.

Yeah! I noticed that the credits include 'Additional material by the cast' - I'd be interested to know how far the others were involved in lines on set. If you read Ingmar Bergman's scripts (Ingmar Bergman was known for his knockabout sense of humour) they're essentially narrative sketches, with many of the lines semi-improvised before the camera.

I am late to the party as usual,

1 WATCHING
2 ALLO ALLO
3 BLACKADDER
4 FATHER TED
5 WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LIKELY LADS
6 COUPLING
7 PORRIDGE
8 ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE
9 BRITTAS EMPIRE
10 MEN BEHAVING BADLY

Having reviewed my list I am surprised that so many of them are from the late 80s and early 90s.

I grew up in what many would regard as the golden age of British comedy, the 1970s, so this makes my list for me all that more surprising

None of those really work for me except Porridge. Come to think (that's my brain in reverse) I just don't really go for sitcoms in general - I lean more towards stand-up or sketch shows. I love The Young Ones, but that's about as far from trad sitcom as you can possibly get (similarly Boosh)... After my three all time faves (Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge) it was surprisingly difficult to fill the list. I'm not talking about quality but personal taste, and my tastes are eclectic (I like ALL the Spice Girls).

It's difficult for BCGnian to find a good and less known sitcom in Top 10 lists. Maybe Two Additional Sitcoms to 10 Usual Greats could give us some info where to dig in maybe yet unknown sitcom territory. Not British and good for me: Lexx (Canadian and German plus UK Channel 5), The Drew Carey Show (US).

1. The Benny Hill Show
2. Fawlty Towers
3. Father Ted
4. Garth Merenghi's Dark Place
5. Steptoe and Son (but Sanford and Son was a good adaptation)
6. Man About The House (but 3s Company was a good adaptation)
7. George and Mildred (The Ropers was a good adaptation)
8. Monty Python's Flying Circus
9. Bless This House
10. Little Britain

Quote: ArticulateMadness @ 18th December 2017, 1:13 PM

1. The Benny Hill Show
8. Monty Python's Flying Circus
10. Little Britain

These aren't sitcoms! :P

Quote: Aaron @ 20th December 2017, 1:20 AM

These aren't sitcoms! :P

Well, to be fair, a Sitcom is a situational comedy. Benny Hill is ALWAYS in a situation, that turns into a comedy, lmao.

Quote: smc4761 @ 11th December 2017, 7:17 PM

I am late to the party as usual,

1 WATCHING
2 ALLO ALLO
3 BLACKADDER
4 FATHER TED
5 WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LIKELY LADS
6 COUPLING
7 PORRIDGE
8 ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE
9 BRITTAS EMPIRE
10 MEN BEHAVING BADLY

Having reviewed my list I am surprised that so many of them are from the late 80s and early 90s.

I grew up in what many would regard as the golden age of British comedy, the 1970s, so this makes my list for me all that more surprising

People forget about Watching - it's a very underrated sitcom.

Quote: ArticulateMadness @ 20th December 2017, 5:06 AM

Well, to be fair, a Sitcom is a situational comedy. Benny Hill is ALWAYS in a situation, that turns into a comedy, lmao.

In that case you could say any comedy, even stand-up is a sitcom, which it isn't. No, I'm sorry but you are wrong. Note the "regular cast" bit :-

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/british_sitcom/

:D

1.Still Game
2.Porridge
3.Phoenix Nights
4.Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
5.Lead Balloon
6.Yes Minister
7.Steptoe and Son
8.Early Doors
9.Bottom
10.The Good Life

Been a while since I posted my top 10, a lot has changed.

1. Are You Being Served?
2. Porridge
3. Only Fools and Horses
4. Yes Minister/Prime Minister.
5. Bottom
6. Open All Hours
7. On The Buses
8. The Royle Family
9. Till Death Us Do Part/In Sickness and In Health
10. Terry and June

Honorable Mentions: Bless This House, Goodnight Sweetheart, Keeping Up Appearances, The Likely Lads, Oh Doctor Beeching, Last Of The Summer Wine, The Vicar of Dibley, Men Behaving Badly and Love Thy Neighbour.

I am 20 years old and I don't have any new sitcoms in my list, I must be the only one of my age with a list like this haha.