Top 10 British sitcoms ever Page 11

Quote: Tom G @ April 16 2009, 3:04 PM BST

Is that serious?

Whippersnappers like you will not recall that it actually started out as an amusing and original series, for me the heyday was Brain Wilde's first stint on the show. It has just ran on far, far too long with every original idea it ever had being recycled to the point where they are so over familiar that even the old shows from when it was good are not funny any more. To get an idea of the syndrome look at where The Simpsons is now then imagine it 20 years further down the line with no new writers...

Quote: maidenpriest @ April 16 2009, 1:13 PM BST

As much as I love it and it is in my top ten, Father Ted is not British but Irish, so should not be included in the British top 10 sitcoms ever IMO?

That'll be Channel 4's Father Ted then, the one created for Channel 4, in the UK. Irish writers, Irish cast, but British sitcom I think!

Quote: Timbo @ April 16 2009, 10:15 PM BST

Whippersnappers like you will not recall that it actually started out as an amusing and original series, for me the heyday was Brain Wilde's first stint on the show. It has just ran on far, far too long with every original idea it ever had being recycled to the point where they are so over familiar that even the old shows from when it was good are not funny any more. To get an idea of the syndrome look at where The Simpsons is now then imagine it 20 years further down the line with no new writers...

Thank you and that is a good comparison. If somebody asked me to pick my favourite non-UK comedies then I probably would put The Simpsons in there even though I wouldn't want to watch any episode after Series 8 really.

Quote: Badge @ April 16 2009, 10:22 PM BST

That'll be Channel 4's Father Ted then, the one created for Channel 4, in the UK. Irish writers, Irish cast, but British sitcom I think!

I was going to say!

Quote: maidenpriest @ April 16 2009, 1:13 PM BST

As much as I love it and it is in my top ten, Father Ted is not British but Irish, so should not be included in the British top 10 sitcoms ever IMO?

British channel. British production company. British money. British studio. British.

Here's my top 10 for today in no particular order.

1. Blackadder
2. Peep Show
3. Red Dwarf
4. Fawlty Towers
5. Game On
6. Father Ted
7. The Office
8. Rising Damp
9. Dad's Army
10. One Foot in The Grave

Quote: Ben @ April 18 2009, 11:49 AM BST

5. Game On

A friend has offered to supply me with the DVDs of Game On, which I've never seen. I've Googled it and see that much of it was written by Andrew Davies (my favourite TV show writer). What's it like? Pure sitcom? Or also some drama?

Quote: Ben @ April 18 2009, 11:49 AM BST

Here's my top 10 for today in no particular order.

5. Game On

:O

Quote: Kenneth @ April 18 2009, 1:31 PM BST

Or also some drama?

There is no drama really but I guess it is dark beneath the comedy. I think that he only co-wrote the first 2 series and left before the third? Could be wrong.

Personally I love the first series with Ben Chaplin as Matthew but I can't bring myself to watch the other 2. Neil Stuke is probably fine but just not the same and didn't work for me.

Thanks. At any rate I'm sure it will be better than Supergirl (which I am now watching).

Quote: chipolata @ April 18 2009, 1:31 PM BST

:O

Oh yes! I've watched it to death since getting the DVD box set.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 18 2009, 1:31 PM BST

A friend has offered to supply me with the DVDs of Game On, which I've never seen. I've Googled it and see that much of it was written by Andrew Davies (my favourite TV show writer). What's it like? Pure sitcom? Or also some drama?

It's pure sitcom and very 1990s. It has one of the best sitcom characters ever in Matt Malone.

Quote: Nick @ April 18 2009, 2:40 PM BST

Personally I love the first series with Ben Chaplin as Matthew but I can't bring myself to watch the other 2. Neil Stuke is probably fine but just not the same and didn't work for me.

That's a common point. Ben Chaplin is great as Matt, but Neil Stuke does an ok job, particularly in the episode with the hoover incident.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 18 2009, 2:58 PM BST

Thanks. At any rate I'm sure it will be better than Supergirl (which I am now watching).

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Peter Cook!

Quote: shaggy292 @ April 18 2009, 8:06 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Peter Cook!

Crumbs, I shall have to comment on Peter Cook's acting in Supergirl in the Peter Cook thread.

1. Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
2. Fawlty Towers
3. Dad's Army
4. The Good Life
5. Till Death Do Us Part
6. Bless This House
7. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
8. Porridge
9. Not Going Out
10.Steptoe And Son

And in that order.

Nearly all very old but then so am I!
Lots more I could name but probably based purely on nostalgia than quality (feel the width!).

As a huge Dutch sitcom fan , why not post my top ten....

Gavin and Stacey
Early Doors
The Royle Family
Blackadder
The Office
Only Fools and Horses
Still Game
Bottom
Extras
Game On

Exactly in this order! It's all about personal taste. I really love G&S , and Early Doors , by far my two personal favourites , I have to watch them each month a few times.

I have to point out , in Holland we can't receive all the British channels , so we have to make due with just BBC1 and 2.

Maybe I am missing a lot:)