Burnistoun Page 3

Quote: ScotiaNova @ March 31 2011, 8:11 AM BST

The network doesn't want these Scottish shows unless they've proven really successful for years in Scotland and maybes they'll sneak doon south like Still Game did . . .

Which is a shame. Because BBC Scotland seems the place to be for good comedy at present. The commissioners seem to have comedy heads on which is more than can be said for what is happening south of the border.

Bit more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/03_march/31/burnistoun.shtml

Back Monday and on iPlayer after that.

Dan

Series record has been set! Really looking forward to it and it did not disappoint. Laughing out loud

Didn't laugh. Not funny. Sketches were far too long. Dire!

Well, how could I sum up Series 2, Episode 1?

Much in the same way I did with S1-E1 ... One sketch worked, one sketch didn't.

Lots of new material, with some old stuff they clearly should have ditched!! .. but hey, may work for some people. I agree that some sketches were too long (beyond the point of 'okay I got the joke' at times) ... while other sketches appeared to beg for more development. Oddly enough, I liked the rappers sketch with the shoes/gloves and the coppers sketch at the end was pretty funny (especially the "wee dug").

So all in all, Series 2 had promise, even although it's always difficult seeing brand new sketches for the first time. I sometimes need to see them 2-3 times, before they grow on me.

One thing I didn't like, was the new theme music, AWEFUL ... why did they not stick with the original main theme/sketch interlude music (MUCH BETTER!! in my opinion)

Anyway, will most definitely be tuning into Episode 2, as I am sure I will enjoy more as things unfold)

All the best!
Cal :)

The rap was awesome 'who's shoe is that'! As was the coppers skecth, I know what you mean about the sketches being a bit overlong, I was thinking the same about the ice-cream van, but then it made me burst out laughing.

I totally loved the 'boyfriend' sketch, very funny!

.. wonder if we will have a return of The Burnistoun Butcher, The Burnistoun Herald and Kelly McGlade(spelling?)

I forgot to mention above "the wee cupboard" ... quite liked that sketch too, especially in the church, with the guy shaking with the "wee cupboard" on his face lol

All the best,

Frankie Boyle sketch was very predictable.

Just watched ep 2 first by mistake.

Excellent! Very funny indeed and (IMO) makes most of BBC's mainstream comedy sketch shows look fairly tired and stuck in a massive self-congratulatory rut.

Yes one or two sketches are a bit long, but it all just seems so refreshing and comes across as a modern take on the more traditional sketch show format that for me is pretty much a thing of the past.

Brought to you by those Comedy Unit chaps I see. They seldom if ever put a foot wrong in my book.

Worth pointing out that those with Sky can of course get this in the rest of the UK on Ch 971 (sorry if this has been mentioned)

Quote: Blenkinsop @ April 12 2011, 6:59 PM BST

Brought to you by those Comedy Unit chaps I see. They seldom if ever put a foot wrong in my book.

Worth pointing out putting their foot wrong - Legit, The Karen Dunbar Show, Dear Green Place, Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights, Limmy's Show, shall I continue.....

Quote: Charlie Boy @ April 12 2011, 7:13 PM BST

Worth pointing out putting their foot wrong - Legit, The Karen Dunbar Show, Dear Green Place, Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights, Limmy's Show, shall I continue.....

Didn't know they were involved in those but can't comment on them (I've seen none of them - no hang about, actually have seen one)

Surprised to see they were involved with Tramadol Nights though. Sadly I did see some of that. :(

I was thinking Rab C, Still Game, Fags Mags & Bags and others.

Karen Dunbar was good too.

Not as keen on Episode 2 on first viewing, as some sketches were a bit of a miss in my honest opinion. Don't get me wrong, I can see the angle they are going for, maybe just not the best delivery in some cases.

The two brothers in the ice cream van, is getting a bit tired now, even if the eventual punch line is still a result. Also thought the singing group praising the devil was a bit of a yawn ... as a clear extension of the previous week's related sketch. The coppers, again, I preferred last week's episode by a mile.

Anyway, sure as always, some sketches may improve with more viewing. One sketch I liked in this episode 2, was the "heard it" sketch with the boss in the restaurant ... now that did work in my book.

Still keen to see if Kelly McGlade, Burnistoun Butcher and The Burnistoun Herald sketches will be re-born?

All the best,

Please don't continue. Limmy's Show has been a complete success. Sometimes I wonder where people get their information from. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean it was not a success.

Episode 3 = Flop!

Too many new sketches with little substance, sorry guys, barely made me laugh throughout this entire episode.

.. time to ditch the ice cream van sketch, pointless.

All the best,