News: BBC America drops classic comedy Page 2

Quote: Walker @ April 6, 2007, 12:30 PM

I never said anything like that. I said it annoyed me that Americans think Benny Hill is how British comedy is. What were you reading?

Yes, you're absolutely right, and what the hell was I reading? I feel so foolish and I am forever in your debt for pointing out the blindlingly obvious. I see I'm going to have to watch myself with you if ever I am going to cross swords with your invaluable self-opinion.

Right, so you are just picking a fight with me for no reason? I don't get what you are trying to say. You say i am annoyed that Jack Black likes Benny Hill when all i did was use him as an example of an American who thinks it represents British comedy. When i clear that up you use all your sarcastic wit to "argue" with me for no reason? You must feel so big.

Basically though Benny Hill was OK for it's time and also appealed to the Yanks.

But not many sitcoms cross the Atlantic that well because basically we do have a different type of humour. They like things slick and lots of gags whereas I think basically we like "clever" or "silly" humour.

I think Benny Hill was quite funny but I wouldn't classify it as "laugh out loud funny"

Do do do do do do do do do do..Benny Hill. You have to lurve or hate the guy. I dont believe Americans think Benny Hill resembles British comedy. They have fallen for Ricky & have adored Billy Connoly for years.

I Also know they like some of our classics. Like Keeping Up Apearances, Fawlty Towers and Monty Python.

Infact some American comedy's can be quite British in their manner. Scrubs is a typical example of American/English blended humour.

At the end of the day, these poor Americans only get to see what the networks choose to buy and vice versa.

So do we. ;)

THE FACTS:

Here in S.F. California, BBC America was added to the basic cable package about 2004-2005.
Started out with a bang! GREAT PROGRAMMING!
Classic Britcoms, Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, etc.

New shows (for me) Jonathan Creek, Antiques Roadshow UK, Location, Location, Location, Cash In The Attic, You Are What You Eat, Rick Stein's Food Heroes, and even a limited showing annually of the Six Nations cup...I could go on! Made me love Britain, and I've only been there once! (ALL CANCELLED)

NOW they show six episodes of Ramsey's six to seven episodes of Top Gear, two to three episodes of Graham Norton, some Dr. Who and BBC news mixed in, and a little Star Trek TNG sprinkled on and that's what we get, day after day.

This has been the steady diet for about three years now. I don't have to tell you that I very seldom watch BBCA ANYMORE.

Anyone interested in trading DVDs with me?

L

PS I didn't like Benny Hill, but I loved The Goodies!

Should have put this in for Eurovision :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI&ob=av3e

I don't suppose you have attempted to contact BBC America to voice your displeasure, Loyalist?

Yes, I have!
But it's all about what the young people want over here.
Or, what they can understand and relate to.

Remember; This is a land where the likes of Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock are the funniest.

L

Quote: Loyalist @ May 8 2012, 8:07 AM BST

...GREAT PROGRAMMING!
Classic Britcoms, Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, etc.

New shows (for me) Jonathan Creek, Antiques Roadshow UK, Location, Location, Location, Cash In The Attic, You Are What You Eat, Rick Stein's Food Heroes, and even a limited showing annually of the Six Nations cup...I could go on! Made me love Britain, and I've only been there once! (ALL CANCELLED)

NOW they show six episodes of Ramsey's six to seven episodes of Top Gear, two to three episodes of Graham Norton, some Dr. Who and BBC news mixed in, and a little Star Trek TNG sprinkled on and that's what we get...

BBCA has always been terrible, every non-comedy you list falls into the garbage TV pile. Really, You Are What you Eat? Might as well watch Ramsey... it'd be a step up... at least there'd be no poo viewing.

Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances are on PBS ad nauseam.... so no reason to worry about BBCA showing them.

I'd rather watch Benny Hill than Hollyoaks anyday but I prefered Kenny Everett show anyways for its naughtiness, so what do I know.

Quote: Mark @ April 3 2007, 8:37 PM BST

BBC America is revamping its schedule to focus on 'contemporary UK programming' - a move which will see classic British comedies like Are You Being Served? and Benny Hill replaced with Hollyoaks, Doctor Who and Spooks.

Full Story

Feel free to comment on this story below.

Note: This thread is part of a trial to gauge whether it is worth us generating a forum thread to go with each news story we post in the news section on our site.

I don't see how that will work. I wouldn't have thought that your Benny Hill / Are You Being Served? Punter is the same person who likes a teen drama Whistling nnocently Hollyoaks, a Sci Fi show and a discontinued British spy show. Lord knows they have enough Spy shows of their own although Homeland was bloody awesome.:S
England Scotland

Anyone who doesn't like Benny Hill please take yourself off to YouTube and pull up Benny's songs, esp. Ernie Fastest Milkman in the West.

You can't go wrong with beautiful women with very few clothes on. And as for slapping a bald man on the head. Genius. Also he was bloody great in The Italian Job.

England Scotland

Quote: MTpromises @ May 9 2012, 4:12 PM BST

BBCA has always been terrible, every non-comedy you list falls into the garbage TV pile. Really, You Are What you Eat? Might as well watch Ramsey... it'd be a step up... at least there'd be no poo viewing.

Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances are on PBS ad nauseam.... so no reason to worry about BBCA showing them.

OH! OH! troll alert.

You've inferred; if YOU don't care to see a certain genre of programming, in this case cultural, then it has no business being on at all.
Which is exactly the attitude I referred to in my post.

Perhaps my remarks offended you, if so, I apologize to you and anyone who took it that way.

However, my remarks were factual, your reply, unwarranted and overly critical, like your opinion were subjective, and frankly out of your ass, or should I say ARSE on here.
"You Are What You Eat" "REALLY" heck yes! as a matter of fact..RILEY!!
You don't like what I choose to watch...I don't like your silly ass (arse) avatar, SO WHAT!

I DON'T worry about what BBCA shows, or what you think is garbage (they say recycle now).
You stay out of my hair...what there is left of it, and I'll certainly stay out of yours.

You want to pick a fight...up to you, I'm a product of the SFUSD public schools, we called it cappin' in those days.
But come back with some facts, ratings in the UK, or something like that.
Not just bias.

And now I won't need to "step up" and watch Ramsay, I can just read your reply.

L