News: BBC America drops classic comedy

BBC America is revamping its schedule to focus on 'contemporary UK programming' - a move which will see classic British comedies like Are You Being Served? and Benny Hill replaced with Hollyoaks, Doctor Who and Spooks.

Full Story

Feel free to comment on this story below.

Note: This thread is part of a trial to gauge whether it is worth us generating a forum thread to go with each news story we post in the news section on our site.

Quote: Mark @ April 3, 2007, 3:37 PM

Note: This thread is part of a trial to gauge whether it is worth us generating a forum thread to go with each news story we post in the news section on our site.

As I requested the linkup, I suppose I should comment……. I don’t care I live in the UK. Rolling eyes

One for the members in the US, but on a general point, how much Brit Com do you get over in the US?

Those poor, poor Yanks.

Hollyoaks?

Still, anything's better than Benny Hill isn't it.

Not by a long shot.

Quote: zooo @ April 3, 2007, 8:59 PM

Still, anything's better than Benny Hill isn't it.

Benny Hill worked to a formula that was technically brilliant for its time. Unfortunately, these days it's far too easy to underestimate how groundbreaking his shows were and even easier to knock because of inaccurate myths put about by the likes of Ben Elton.

Well said. I'm just a tad too young to remember any Benny Hill as broadcast originally, but I have acquired, shall we say, quite a bit. Although some sketches haven't stood the proverbial test of time, it's still bloody good.

On that subject, who saw Is Benny Hill Still Funny? at the New Year, and what did you think?

I find myself watching Hollyoaks for the same reason I'd watch Benny Hill: the attractive women.

Yes I watched "Is Benny Hill Still Funny". It was a while ago now so I don't remember much about it but apart from just showing it to a new generation I think they tried to analyse it too much.

I've watched a few Benny Hill shows. I've given him a chance. I just don't find it funny. Even aside from the lameness of the semi naked women trotting about.

About time. I don't like Benny Hill, i'm not saying i don't respect how groundbreaking it was at the time, but i am getting pretty sick of Americans generalising British sitcom on whats on BBC America (i.e. Benny Hill) when the show isn't even given repeat time on any UK TV channel. I think it was on a Jonathon Ross show when Jack Black said he liked UK comedy, and when asked to give examples he said Benny Hill as he initial answer. It just annoys me.

I bet they'll hate the majority of the modern stuff.

Quote: Walker @ April 5, 2007, 9:08 PM

I think it was on a Jonathon Ross show when Jack Black said he liked UK comedy, and when asked to give examples he said Benny Hill as he initial answer. It just annoys me.

Jack Black is part of the new comedic establishment and yet it annoys you that he likes Benny Hill. This part of the thread now becomes as clear as mud.

I thought Jack Black was joking when he said that, not saying that he didn't like it but I thought the joke was that he was saying really old stuff, I think he also mentioned Monty Python, but then after said he like Ricky Gervais...I wish he'd just stuck with his first two choices to be honest.

I never said anything like that. I said it annoyed me that Americans think Benny Hill is how British comedy is. What were you reading?

As far as it being a joke, he didn't say it as a joke, it wasn't received as a joke by the audience (who were completely silent at that point), and Ross didn't seem to treat as a joke either.